I would like to apologize to those working for $50 per hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 13, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I must eat some crow.

Those that have given me grief when I say there's no way to make money working for $50 per hour, I apologize.

We have now joined with the others across the country.....

"wanted: lawn work, $20 per hour"

There are two ads this week in the local paper for this rate.

Apparently you CAN work for that rate, and really be raking in the dough at $40-50 per hour.
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well they certainly won't be in business for long, at that rate! Oh well they will have to learn the hard way.
  3. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Who cares? You can buy your steaks at Aldi's for a lot cheaper than you can buy your steaks at the meat market, but I am not eating steaks at Aldi's. Concentrate on ways to make your business better and not what every Joe Shmo is doing.
  4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

O.P. makes no sense..... BUT I can work for $20 an hour with my ($10)rake only and sure I will do your yard but it will take 3 hours OR I will do it in an hour with my $500 blower and charge you $60.

Now don't think I work or will work/charge $20 per hour - my rate is $60+.. I can make $20 per hour just punching the clock on a regular job and get bennies - WHY would I want to run a business and only charge $20 an hour..... O that's right some people are dumb and don't know any better!!!!!
  5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

apology excepted...now heres $5.00............get back to work!!!!!!!!!!
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

We had an add in last weeks paper stating $20.00 per lawn or name your own price. This is the guys second year that i know of, anyway he has a newer truck and a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a John Dere L110, he hasn't hurt me seeing how i picked up 6 accounts this year and we havn't even started yet. I talked to a lco last week handing out flyers in a subdivision that we work in, i asked him for one of the flyers to check out his prices and they were with-in market for this area, anyway i told him good luck because there are 5 lco in that subdivision. Stand your ground Lawnmowerman and do quality work and you'll build up that customer list fast.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

That's awesome - eating crow!! Hopefully not better than steak!! =))
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the problem with working for 50 and below? If you work for someone and you make 15.00 a hour and you still have to make your bills of your house. Like rent, car, utilities, and cost of living. So whats the difference if a guy decides to go out and wants to work for him self for 35.00 an hour?

They both have bills and the guy is making 35.00 an hour? Can anyone answer me this we all cry about someone working for cheaper when we all know the guy making 35.00 is way better off and pays less taxes.
  9. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

your logic is alittle off-----the rate would be fine IF we worked all year! April pays for December May pays for January and so forth---charge less--learn the hard lesson..........
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Hows the guy way better off and pays less taxes? If a guy needs to make 50,000 a year, and he does it making 35 an hour or 70 an hour guess what, he pays the same taxes. But does twice the work. Yea he's better off :laugh: