1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i would love to start treating shrubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

that would be a nice add on

whats it take to start.
    i been treating turf for 22 years and never got involved in shrubs.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Start with deep root feeding. You could get get a Kiorwitz hand held injector and your in business. Also they are very good for Merit Injections.
  3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i believe the ones i have seen are made for injecting pesticides, i don't think they hold very much product and would be a royal pain the ass to inject fert with(time consuming)
  4. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

A nice way to treat shrubs as well as an anti-dessicant in the fall. Its an easy application that really makes a difference. Along with fertilizer injections you can do fairly well. Pesticide applications can usually be made with a backpack sprayer, and you can also offer ornamental pruning. Also a nice job that can be done in the winter months.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the most lucrative part of the Buiz. It requires a wealth of experance and has very high risk potentional if you don'k have the know how.

Most don't share too much here on this subject as we have worked very very hard in both school theory spending Thousands and Thousands of $$$$$$ and the practial field exp. as well. Why just give all that hard work away to what could become your competition?

Buy books, study online, take classes, keep asking your supply reps, and read those labels at LEAST 4 times each. Pay attention to the small stuff, and as you get better you will be able to pick out some more clues in posts like these.

We can't just give away the exp. that keeps us better than our competition.

Keep reading ;)

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We are jumping in with both feet this year. But I cheated and hired an experienced tree person to grow that side. E-mail of PM me and I will go over our progress so far. (it has been GREAT)
  7. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Its hard for me to beliveve you have been doing lawns for 22 years
    and no nothing about shrubs. This is one of the most profitable parts
    of the buisness. I don't know what i would do with out my shrub
    program. Don't people ask you about their shrub problems?
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

By the way like the website ant
  9. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

no shrubs. i sub it out to a guy that just did shrubs.
    my licenses never supported trees/shrubs. i hace clients asking all the time.
    now is the time to get er done!
  10. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

"ant" Good luck. I am basically in the same boat your are in. You can get alot of info off of this board if you search around. Sales reps are good. Alot of books, because each only seems to cover so much. I have looked at alot of programs and it seems to be no two are alike. Not every homeowner has the same shrubs and conditions. Its seems like more of an art. "heritage" point is understandable. By the time you have figured it out it would be hard to give away you secrets. However, what works for him though may not work for you.