1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i would really like your service but....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

on our full service packages, we do a 10 month billing plan. all services for the season are added up, divided into 10 equal payments. we really don't start spring cleanups or any service till the 2nd/3rd week in march sometimes, BUT, the first payment on the package is due on march 1st. now, you have a prospective client who is very interested in your service, but WILL NOT agree to this payment plan, they don't like the idea of any type of pre payment. it is also a client you would love to have. do you alter your payment arrangement to accomodate him, or say sorry, this is our policy, we won't budge?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

my way or the highway payup
  3. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I wouldnt give in. Once they see you are a softy about anything they will keep pushing until they have everything their way. And don't think they wont tell everyone about the sucker for a lawnboy they have.
  4. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I too have a billing plan similar to yours but it is only for 8 months. I bill on the first of the month and it is due by the 20th of each month that way I will have performed some work before they pay me. When I switched to this way of billing some of my customers didn't like it and preferred the old way so that is how I bill them, at the end of the month for work performed.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I do Equal Monthly Billing and mine also go out March 1st due on March 15th and I have new clients that we have not even serviced yet that will be getting one. It's my business and my rules and I spell those out before we finalized their account.
  6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I You've said it yourself before BG, your way or the highway. I would spread it over 12 months, instead. That way you have money coming in all year instead of only 10 months. Just my 2c.
  7. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

perhaps these customers don't have your trust yet and are leery of paying for somethng they have not received yet. Some of my new customers objected to it at first but after trust was earned they agreed to "my way".
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am a flexible person and I try to use that to my advantage. It depends on exactly how bad you wanted this person as a client. I can see no reason not to let this one client pay you after the work is done, but you would know better than I would. Seems like you deal with a lot more trash than other people do. By that I mean people that want something for nothing and not wanting to pay you and some people don't even show up to meet you for an estimate. I mean I think we all go through that, but seems like you have more problems than anyone...must be a Jersey thing...I don't know.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

never 12 months, never ever. our work here is seasonal, they only need us april-nov. it's very difficult to get payments when they don't see you or need you, that is why i use 10 payments, first one due march 1st, they will be seeing you very soon, the last one due dec. 1st, they just saw you a couple weeks ago. trying to get money from these people in jan, and feb is like pulling teeth, and i'd end up cancelling more for non payment.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If there is enough money involved, then yes, I certainly would. Sorry BG, but I'm in love with the Almighty Dollar...