I Wrote Scag The Other Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bladecutter582, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

As I was looking over Scag's web site the other day and looking towards the future when I'm going to purchase my first Z, I was still disappointed over the fact that Scag "only" offers the 52" Turf Tiger with the 27hp Kohler air-cooled engine. For my money and needs I would love to be able to have the 29hp Kawasaki liquid-cooled engine, fuel-injected. Many of us know that this is a great combo if you don't have the need for 61" of cutting deck.
    I don't need the 61" deck, and would love to have this choice on engine options. This certainly won't keep me form buying one, but Scag being one of the major players for the commercial lawn care business, would be great to have the best of both worlds.:usflag:
    If you think this would be a good combo for any future purchase, let Scag know how you feel.

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

The 27 should be more than sufficient for a 52. My JD only have 25's, and are more than fine. My Lescos had 23 & were fine when then engines were newer. All 60's.

3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Another case of someone who thinks they need a supercharged high horsepower mower..... fact is the mower would probably be just fine with 18 horsepower. 27 horses is what my 61 inch has and it never bogs down.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the wildcat 52 with 26 liquid cooled kawasaki it a hoss,plus you pocket around 2k less.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my Turf Tiger from an individual. It only had 26 hrs on it and was in showroom condition. It is an 03 model with a 23 liquid cooled kawasaki 52" advantage deck. I took it to the local Scag dealer was pleased to know that the 23 and the 27 are the same blocks. He advised if I wanted the 27 horsepower all I have to do is change the carb. It would cost about $350 to change it out. It sounded good at the time but after using the 23 it has plenty of power and torque. I just sold my 52 Wildcat with 25 kaw. It was a great cutting mower also.

6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fairly certain turning a 23 HP engine into a 27HP engine is quite a bit more involved than just swapping out carbs. I could be wrong though.

7. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

Well some may think so , but the extra two whole horsepower is nowhere close to the reason I would prefer this combo. The ratings and rep. of this engine is very strong and without a doubt is known for enhanced fuel economy as well. I don't know why Scag would not offer this other than an agreement with Kohler to mount a certain amount of their engines. Besides all I'm saying is to have the choice just might turn a few extra hundred heads when it comes time to purchase.
    Many of us don't have the need or 6+ acres jobs to cut and a 52" servers our needs well. Just give us the option to have the better of the two power plants and the ability to save some on fuel.

The Wildcat is a good unit but sit down and compare "EVERYTHING" you get for your money when comparing the two. It's money well spent to go with the Tiger !!!.:waving:

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I contacted my dealer today so I would be "fairly certain" in posting this information. I was told by my dealer that the 23hp and 27hp liquid cooled kawasaki engines are both 745cc engines they both have the same components except their "fixed jet downdraft carburetors". I also asked if I wanted to get more horsepower how I would go about getting it. I was told that the only thing I would change would be the carburator. So just to make sure I asked again " this is the only thing to change right" he said nothing changes at all. All components stay intact it usually takes about 1 hour to change it out.

9. Juan_Deere

Can you post what model number your engine is? Thanks.

10. Juan_Deere

Actually, don't worry about it. The Kawasaki engine website is a maze, but just looking at the Kohler engine specs, and presented with the same scenario, it appears that they do in fact use the exact same engines, with different carbs to get the different HP ratings. That is very interesting, and I am glad to know it. That is something that can easily be used for negotiating on the price of a mower. I have seen identical mowers with a substantial price difference, because one mower had "more horsepower". This whole time, I actually thought the engines were different internally, thus accounting for the price difference.