1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I20 or 5000plus SAM?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by vabch22, Jun 2, 2014.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

RB 5004 PRS SAM (SS)

Trying out the SS recently, i noticed it has a modified seal i assume due to the SS veneer. Hopefully just as good.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

PGP ULTRA is a direct replacement (in the same can) as a PGP ADJ.

Ultras are better in a lot of ways, are still cheap and you will get another 3-5 years out of them..

Don't sure I see the point in upgrading to SS or SAM rotors.

What are you hoping to get out of an I20 that the PGP doenst give you? Longevity?

4. vabch22

vabch22 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks guys for all the input. I appreciate it.

I doubt I would do SS as I have been running regulars for 6+ years with no problems. But then again, I don't know if SS would last that much longer to justify the extra cost?

I thought about the ultra's, but they didn't have the check valve for the lower areas of the yard. This is why I was going to replace them with the I20 or RB SAM options. Then I started reading about the 5000's and didn't know if their nozzles were any better than the PGP reds or not (or even the I20 blues).

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking to save water, then you need to also be looking at system design. A head with better uniformity can only take you so far. SS risers if you are have a sandy soil, and checks if you have any slope. If you are pushing enough sand through the system that it will interfere with a check sealing then you might consider filtering.

6. RhettMan

from Texas

You know what.....

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what that means, but I don't think I've ever had a I-20 or/ 5000/ 5500 fail. Most of my sites were on the waterfront, so sand was a given, the reasoning for using stainless risers. 6" risers rule for turf. :)

8. RhettMan

from Texas

You said it much better than I could Mr. Leary :)

9. deekay1622

deekay1622 LawnSite Member

Down in this hole is a Hunter PGP. Any thoughts on why it sank? I'm guessing trench settled due to lack of compaction and the turf thatched up as well.

Any solutions to get this raised up with minimal impact to the turf and long term clearance above the turf cut height?

Would an I-20 or RB 5000 series be less likely to sink?

I can see why a 6" rotor can be a very good investment.

Thanks.

2014-06-03 18.00.51.jpg

2014-06-03 18.01.28.jpg

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That's why they invented swing joints. Dig the head free and reset it correctly.