1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I20 or 5000plus SAM?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by vabch22, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The mowing crews are well-known for squashing heads down, which is why a 6" w/swing joints last longer before your crew has to come in and raise them.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Heads being pushed around by really heavy mowers should have some sort of bracing. Easy enough to manufacture, in the form of a slip-on flange, and credit lowly Toro for putting them in their catalog.
  3. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

Could you post a link to this "flange"? In Florida sand I'm curious if it could hold or not.
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter rotors just haven't been doing it for me the past few years..

3 years and evident failure on high pressure systems... No I can't let it go.
  5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen heads on systems that weren't maintained well that we're that low. But I think it is from the turf rising. All the systems here are pulled in so there is no settling.
  6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

one thing i've noticed about PGP's is that the seal is inevitably GOING to leak, and it's usually only a matter of 1 year or 2. We merged with another company in town and they use I-20's exclusively. Here's why:

1. Upgraded seal (i rarely see any that leak)
    2. Pop up 1" higher than a PGP (1" saves a lot of head raising)
    3. Slip Clutch (true 360 degree continuous turn radius)
    4. Able to shut the water off (we like this because you can flush the head before you put in the nozzle, also great to see if the head or fittings are leaking around it and adjustments)
    5. Stronger spring (don't stay up after watering)
    6. Check valve (great for the bottom heads on a slope)

That's all i can think of right now. The only reason i wouldn't use an I-20 is if the system had very poor pressure. The springs are so strong they sometimes will not pop up with poor pressure. I used to only use PGP's, but now i'm a believer in the I-20. Fair warning, i do not have much experience with RB's.
  7. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

can someone confirm that the i20 is in fact 1 inch taller than a PGP? i've never actually measured the two side by side
  8. Raven2510

Raven2510 LawnSite Member

They don't pop-up any higher. They are both a 4" pop with a 7 1/8" body. They are the same so that you can swap the insides into each other for ease of replacement. You can purchase the I-20 in a 6" pop-up.

We install PGP-Ultras in all installs except for sports fields, then we use 6" I-25's. I never have problems with leaking. They can be adjusted to 360* just like the I-20. They are non-stripable, and have a 5yr warranty too. They can even be ordered with a check valve if needed. The ability to shut off the head is a feature that's not worth the extra price to me.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No more flange from Toro, and even if there was, it was only a fit for the original rotor bodies, like in the S600 and S700, and the 300 Stream Rotor. Too small for the T5 and other current models.

No wonder that Florida sand could call for bracing heads. The Safe-T-Lawn company in Miami thought up the flange idea. Theirs were large enough to be awkward to work with, in the days before modern swing joints, but they could take over a ton of force without any head movements.
  10. richgauci

richgauci LawnSite Member

Can't go wrong with 5000's.