I8 hp Kohler Command

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Apr 22, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer wants to replace my 3 yr old 14hp Kawi engine on my 48" w/b with an 18 hp Kohler Command engine with electric start. It is about a year old and came off a scag w/b. (The guy upgraded to a 25 hp Kohler) My dealer said the 18 hp Kohler Command/w electric start cost about $2000.00 new. He said he heard it run when it came in and it sounded good. He said he would put in on my w/b for $700.00- $900.00 parts and labor. Does this sound right or is he pulling my leg. Thanks for any help.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

See them new for around 1000.00 with ES.

4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Where are you getting a command for $1000.00? Tell the dealer $800.00 and put it on.

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

6. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

They are great to deal with. I bought an 18 horizontal from them 3 months ago.It was more money than the vertical.

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Glad to hear it! I have seen mine (17HP KAW) alittle cheaper at other places, but I will deff. keep them in mind if I ever need another one. (IF i can ever get any hours on this thing) Take care!

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i can get a new 18 command for 700 but its from a guy who sells old an new stuff so i dont know how long he has had it.
    it is unused though.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This used engine is worth about 300 to 400. It takes about 2 hours to do the changeover including all of the cable switching. Total price should be around 400 to 500. Your local dealer is full of malarky.

10. Turfquip has a complete 62" Toro WB with a 18 hp command for sale at $1k needs TLC. You could strip the engine and use the t-bar steering for your 48" whatever. I will take the 62" deck. Put it on a skid and ship the deck north.