icd deck still amazes me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Nov 22, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Green what do you mean take the baffles out on my JD. It has mulch on demand and when u close lever the baffles also close. I don't think taking the center baffles out will work on this setup. It would be like a shute blocker then correct?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No-

Climb down under there and take a look at the rear skirting where it comes up in between the blades (or just look in your manual on how to adjust and/or remove these baffles I'm talking about). You'll see the two bolted in plates I am talking about. There's one bolt that holds each plate in, and two holes in each plate to allow you to adjust how far forward they stick to some degree. They can also be taken out, and my manual even suggests that is best unless you do mostly mulching. However, I have found that the deck mulches just as well with them out as with them in. When you locate them, close your MOD and you will see that there is still a gap in between the front edge of the baffle and the face of the front moving baffle that allows clippings and leaves to still end up at the right side chute blocker. removing the baffle plate makes this gap bigger, but it doesn't seem to make the clipping trail alongside the chute blocker much worse, if any, but it makes the deck have a lot better suction than with them in. The baffle plates limit air flow, which in turn limits suction. without those plates, the deck is almost a mirror image of the ICD deck/front baffling.

The front MOD baffles stay there, and they still swing back to help the deck mulch about as well with the plates removed as with them in. Without them, the deck handles tall, thick grass a LOT better, and cleaner in one pass, and the discharge pattern is much farther and more evenly spread out.

For true mulching, Ii made my own baffle plates to replace the factory ones, and the deck mulches much better without leaving a windrow alongside the chute plate like it does in OEM set-up.

Here, watch this video. You can see the two bolted in baffle plates coming up from the rear skirting, and also see the gap that is there when the front baffles for the MOD function close. Just take those two plates out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gPUiZ5BX_0

3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed! The cut is excellent, up there with the best, for me its the best ive seen.

Ferris is an excellent package, gives a good ride and an excellent cut, 2 things very important to me. I love the stripes it leaves behind.

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no complaints with my Ferris either, I have the G6 blades on for the leaves and it turns them into dust, I have tried it with the OCD down and up, I almost feel like it does better up.