Ice Machines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We kick grass, Feb 12, 2002.

1. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

One of our biggest complaints when it comes to employee comforts is the issue of water sometimes. Now everyone enjoys a nice drink of cold water on a hot day so we try to make sure each truck has a cooler on it for them. And we try to provide ice in those coolers to help out. I was thinking about trying to buy a used ice machine from somewhere that came from any hotel or motel you know a nice big one with lots of cubes to help keep our boys cool and comfortable as possible. Has anyone done that and how did it work out ? Or does anyone have any leads on how to find one of those machines. Gotta take care of my boys!!!:blob2:

2. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

I use a deep freezer with small plastic buckets to make cubes of ice. The cubed ice lasts all day in 100+ degree temperatures. The only drawback to this is you have to refill the buckets every few days as needed.

3. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

I bought my deep freezer new a few years ago for about $200 and i use it for other things as well. During these hot and humid texas summers i also like to freeze gallons of iced tea. About mid afternoon after I have had a couple of gallons of water the tea is partly melted and it is nice to have somethin with a little flavor to it. Using a wet bandana around my neck helps a little but i have been trying to come up with something better. Maybe a piece of garden hose filled with water and frozen to wrap around the neck(or something like that). It wouldn't be the most professional image but anything to beat the heat I'd consider.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

we kick grass,

Check out local auctions and get on their mailing list. There always seems to be restaurants going out of business. Could pick one up pretty cheap. Coleman make an ice chest that claims to keep ice for 5 days in 90 degree weather. Man the wall on that cooler are THICK!

MATT

5. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

:D Check with your local commercial plumbing contractor we install these alot!Alot of times resteraunts need to up date with health code reasons and most of the time there is nothing wrong with these machine they might need a little clean up though

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Check with restaurant supply companies. They will have some used units. Don't buy one that makes crushed ice, lots of repairs.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

try e-bay

8. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

My wife will freeze one liter coke jugs that she saves. each morning I grab a few and place them in the water coolers real cheap way for cold water

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'd say use a small freezer and put small tubs (like ice cream or margarine type tubs) with water in them each day. The block of ice will slide right out. You can fit several tubs in at at time.
    You can get one of the small freezers for under $200 and they are compact and will take up less space then an ice maker. Plus I would think that even a used ice machine would be a few hundred bucks or more.

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The best place to find one of these is a restaurant supply wholesaler or a refrigeration supply wholesaler. Some of these places won't sell to anybody except HVAC contractors.

Before you spend $2,000 on an ice machine, I'd try a different approach. I use a 3 liter soda bottle in my 2 gal cooler and 2 in the 5 gal jug. I cut off as much as it took to fit inside my jug. I freeze several of them so on really hot days I can come get another. I just put it in the jug upside down and fill the jug with water, and as the ice melts, it keeps the water cool until all of it is gone. I have used bagged ice before and it will melt before the end of most days. This isn't a problem with the bottles, plus I don't have a very large ice machine in the way, just a refrigerator, which I use for other stuff.