1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ice picks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose I don't know the correct term for them, but the device that you can hang from a chan and pick up blocks, trees, whatever and it squeezes as you lift. Anyone know where I can score one quick? My dad just landed a contract for a retaining wall and it's on a gnarly slope and the required blocks are 80 pounds. We'd like to sling them down the slope with an excavator instead of trying to manhandle them.
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

its not exactly what you are looking for....but its close...we have a set at the shop that is really nice, they have a 1"x2" "grip pad" instead of the points on the bottom so it lifts concrete block, etc... with ease

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks man, kinda what I'm looking for. Tong is the better word for sure to describe what I'm looking for. The flat, rubber pads would be nice for handling stone. Trying to find something by maybe next Thursday.
  4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag, I thought maybe you needed icepicks for our crazy weather!! haha.

On a serious note, I thought I had something that showed what you were looking for but I can't locate it. What kind of blocks are they? Not ecology blocks cuz 80lbs is too light....you should hit up some landscape companies and/or nurseries to see what they used and where they got 'em.
  5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

If you need something right away you might have to take a block and go to a welding shop and have something fabed up for you to use.

Might have to do an internet search and see what is out there for the welder guy to get the idea of what you want.Good luck.:usflag:
  6. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

If you were to view www.baileysonline.com and look at the log skidding tongs they may be just what you are looking for. Prices are from $85 to $220 Ken
  7. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Try PROBST. They make all kinds of lifting tools for block.
  8. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Probst tools at pavetech.com
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

10. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member