1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ice Storm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nosmo, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go again! We had the ice storm of the century earlier this year in January and what didn't get ruined is now getting a second chance.

It started yesterday and is continuing and possibly a second wave will begin tonight. This one which came through yesterday spread across West Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and on to Chicago.

Got my lanterns ready just in case the electric lines go down as they have in places just north of us. Last time it was off 3-days.

I hope any of you in the path of this one are making it OK and will be with electric.

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

yep, were getting ready in Missouri, got my a kerosene heater ready, it will be better than nothing I guess!! Snow is one thing...this dang Ice though, not much you can do!
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

went thru one here in 1994. took 3 days to get my power back and limbs were snapping like twigs all over the area. people were waiting in line at burger king for coffee, for an hour. there was very few places with power, the interstates were closed. it was a big mess.

kerosene heaters and chain saws are great things to have during an ice storm!
  4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

And what about an electric generator? That is the first thing going in when the new barn is built on our farm in Ohio. Having lived on generator power for 5 weeks at work and home, that is now the #1 thing to have for emergencies.
  5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

please share some pic's if you can. We get a lot of ice out here so I really feel for you all. Then you have to clean up the mess after it all melts. keep plenty of wood on hand for the fire and candles handy, hopefully you are not out of power to long.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ironically, as dry as it's been here this year, we'd probably take some ice or any other form of precipitation. As long as it ends up as water.

It's 78 degrees right now, is going to be 78 again tomorrow, and then hit the 80s Wednesday. Our normal highs and lows for today are 55 and 34.:dizzy:
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Now that I have a generator large enough to power my whole house, I almost welcome the ice storms because of the amount of work they generate around here. Last winter, I had the heating, 3 fridges, and most other electrical running of a generator. First comes the general cleanup and tree takedowns then when the weather is nicer, stump grinding is somthing alot of folks need. I wish we'd get a handful of ice storms every year.
  8. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i think that storm is supposed to hit here tonight. how much ice are we talking? the only time i remember it being really bad was probably 8-10 years ago we had power off for a week.
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

im in north texas and havent heard nothin about this, maybe it wont affect me...
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my county is on the southern edge of the storm. The weather map still shows a warning for another ice storm tonight. But the weather station on the internet shows only a low of 35 tonight. Gonna have to watch the 5:00 PM
    news and weather to see what they have to say.

Yeah I know what you mean about plenty of free firewood after a bad ice storm. We had one in January and I loaded several pickup loads and brought home a lot of wood. I had plenty of my own limbs to cut up too.

Well you guys north and east of us take it easy and good luck while this one does its thing.