Ice water all day long the easy way.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Dec 28, 2002.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Like they say on a hot day there is noting better than ice water, and here is an easy way to do it: Take a gallon container (old milk jug), fill it with water and throw it in the freezer as soon as you get home. By moring it is usually solid but as the day goes on it steadily melts. I have been doing this for two years now and it works great.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do u get the ice out of the container?

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what happens when you want a nice long drink at 9:30AM? Isn't it still frozen too much to get a decent drink out of it?

We freeze a couple of 32oz gatorades the night before. By afternoon they are nice and slushy, but in the morning we have water to drink so we don't have to wait around for the gatorade to thaw. I'm assuming you do the same, by taking something else to drink while the water jug slowly melts?

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm not sure exactly what he meant but here is another thought that would work even if he didn't mean this:
    Take a frozen gallon jug and put in your 5 gallon or so jug of water with around 4 gallons of drinking water, and that one gallon block enclosed with plastic will keep the other 4 drinkable gallons cold. Refreeze one gallon jug every nite and put in 5 gallon jug every morning with 4 fresh gallons of drinkable water. ?Comprendo?

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is off topic but, how do u get the little picture beside ur name on the left right by your name?

6. edit profile

edit options

add avitar

Ice water all day just like BHB described. Saves lot's of money on ice.

We just have an ice machine, great for parties.

7. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Where can you get a good ice machine. Arent they $$?
    :confused:

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

ealbertson, I've been doing the same thing for 5 years now. Only I have found that a SunnyD container is better. Thicker plastic plus a screw on lid that won't pop off if the jug falls over. As for the morning I usually take a couple of 20oz containers of refrigerated water. Sure beats paying $2 for a 32oz Gatorade every day. That kind of stuff really adds up. By the way does anyone pay for drinks out of the business or do you just pay personally?

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the Gatorade mix and do it yourself. It's much cheaper. I've done the frozen milk jug thing but, I didn't fill it all the way up. I'd fill it 1/2 or 3/4 to freeze and then top the frozen part with water in the morning. I've even used a frozen solid gallon container to chill the items in my cooler. It works really fast if there's 2-4 inches of water sloshing around in there. Thanks, I haven't thought about ice cold anything for a couple of months now!

10. Auction.

Mine was $165