Icey Storm On Tap for Monday

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Jan 28, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

It looks like a snow/ ice storm will hit the east coast on monday. It looks like there will be cold air at the surface, and warm air aloft. This spells one word ice. I think monday is going to be a big battle day.<p>Geoff
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

$$$$$$. :)
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Well it's 9:30pm, and it's snowing heavy. We have about 2&quot; on the ground. Looking at, I can see the rain snow line approaching me fast. Looks like the changeover is coming soon. Got some coffee on now, heading out soon. Don't want to plow until the changeover starts. It began snowing at about 7:45 PM. Weathermen on TV say it will all be past us by 2 am. We'll see. Will salt in the early AM if necessary. I want to see how much rain we get, it looks like heavy rain on radar. Nothing like thunder, lightening, and snow!<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>
  4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I like to wait to after all the rain and freezing rain is done, if possible. Then you can scrape away the mess all at once. It doesn't look like it's going to happen that way in maine. It will be a day storm, that means cars, cars and more cars. They say 3-6 before it changes to sleet and freeaing rain.<p>Geoff
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Central CT, snowed like heck from 11pm to 2 am, 4 inches maybe then went straight to rain. Rain stopped by 6. Started plowing at 3am, got home 3pm, this afternoon just an inch of slush to remove, but hey the moneys still green. Forecast is for above freezing at least thru the weekend so maybe I can get some of this ice off the pavement.<p>BTW I tried the Pam cooking spray on the plow blade and all I can say is WOW. Thanx for the tip whoever suggested it.<p>Bill
  6. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

We missed the last NorEaster, but did get a little from this last system. It started Sun. morning, I went out about 5am, had a church to get done first thing. Had about 2 inches. It stopped snowing, then started again, on and off. I plowed the rest of the accounts, but did not drop any salt, as the forecast was callling for additional snow, and all the business were closed on Sun.<p>Mid day it turned to sleet/rain/freezing rain, and kinda mashed everything down. We got another inch or so overnoght into this morning. Went out and salted this morning, everything OK by the open of business this morning.<p>Calling for off and on flurries accumulating maybe an inch or two the next couple of days, then 40's and 50's twords the end of the week.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Here in hudson valley,NY we had first flake at 1030PM,at11 it got heavy.4-5 inches by 100am changeover.At 200am it turned back to snow and stopped at 700am.Total 7 inches of heavy,wet snow.I went out at midnight(I have a trucking account that is open 24/7 and the bobtails get stuck in 3 inches of snow.)and got done at noon.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  8. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

We got 6&quot; of wet heavy snow, the stem stayed at 31 or 32 all day. The was a little freezing rain but not much, we didn't even use that much sand. We are waiting to after 10 to clean up the lots, this way everyone can take a break. Plus with the residental crews on the lots, things will go quick. The residental drives are all done, and private roads are done, and the lots won't freeze up tonight. So after 10 we will scrape them down. Tonight we will try out the pusher on the lots, we used trucks to keep the roads open during the day.<p>Geoff<p>