1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ALLPro Landscaping, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think of ICPI certification classes. And doest it lock in more jobs for you
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

my class was really good. It has landed me NOTHING in terms of jobs.
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The education you will receive to get your certificate is great, unfortunately, the general public does not know who or what the ICPI is. The educated consumer will know and understand the benefits of an ICPI certified installer and it should be part of your mission to educate the rest.

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's worth it. I have had people tell me that my company was chosen because of it.
    I think a lot of the general public still thinks that anybody can do what we do, thanks to hgtv and the like, and I believe certification helps to change this perception.
    A big advantage is that you can tell potential customers that you use the industry accepted practices to do your installations. This is especially helpful if your competition doesn't.
  5. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys i'm gona take it
  6. LB1234

you will learn a lot in the class if you pay attention and ask questions...don't be afraid to. I learned a lot of things that I was doing wrong and in speaking with other contractors picked up some ideas on how to speed certain areas up during the install.

I'm a little down on ICPI though.:cry:

Went on a quote for a family last year for a patio install. Spent over two hours with them on a Sunday morning. Explained the whole process on what 'interlocking' actually meant and its benefits. explained I am ICPI cert., past clients info, pictures, willing to take to previous jobs completed, etc. Long story short she called me a few times and emailed over the next few weeks...the last phone call she said she found another contractor that was ICPI certified and they said stonedust is accetable and that is what they use. Basically my credability was shot...and so is ICPI's in my opinion b/c they don't enforce "certified" contractors to follow their rules/regs/guidelines, whatever.

I since had to change the way I speak about ICPI...

sorry for hijacking your post
  7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I like to send potential customers to the icpi website so they can see the proper way for themselves, that reinforces everything I told them.
  8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I can name 10 competitors in my area that are icpi certified and don't follow the guidelines.
  9. LB1234

Don't get me wrong...I highly advise taking the classes and ICPI is very good. Learned a lot and lord knows how much crap I was doing wrong before that class. I've since gone back and looked at some of the earlier work we did and WOW what the heck was I thinking:laugh: But I just wish there was a way for ICPI to make sure its members are actually utilizing ICPI guidelines.
  10. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with LB1234