ICPI Certified Pavers - Help!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by EasternShoreVa, Apr 23, 2007.

1. EasternShoreVa

EasternShoreVa LawnSite Member

I have been reading this forum for some time to gain knowledge on what to look for when hiring a paver to do my patio and walkway. This company claims to be ICPI certified. In the contract it says that the patio and walkway will be installed using ICPI standards.

The patio seems to have turned out great, but the walkway is another story. He is not finished yet but I believe the problems I see cannot be corrected without removing the pavers, the sand and re-screeding the base. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think he used a string line or any other means to get the walkway level. Matter of fact, I haven’t seen any strings or levels around anywhere. I put up a mason string myself and the walkway has several noticeable dips and humps. I don’t think he prepared the base very good. In some places the walkway slopes away from the house and in some places it does not. He is using the pipes for the leveling of the sand but if the base isn’t level then the sand won’t be level – right?

My question is: Does this look bad to you? What is the ICPI standard as far as the humps and dips are concerned? Are there standards for how to slope it away from the house? Do you use a level? Is there a list of the ICPI standards somewhere?

Also, he did not dig out as much soil as I would have thought. He says he will bring in soil to build it up. This company is very reputable around her and I did get several people that recommended them to me. I though I would get some input from you professionals before I talked to him.

Thanks in advance

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

2. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Yes, this is bad. There should be no humps or dips if done properly. as far as depth goes, 4-6" min. on the base, 1" on the sand and then the pavers. It really looks like you where handed garbage for work on this one.

This looks just like a homeowner did it, not like a professional job at all. I wouldn't pay out on this one and the only way to fix it is to start over. I would get the specifications and watch them very closely when they have to fix it.

Good luck!

3. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I just noticed that the pavers are sticking out of the ground where they meet the asphalt. It should also be flush there, big tripping hazard.

4. EasternShoreVa

We voiced our concerns this morning about the dips and rolls and he said it will come out when he compacts it. I know it won’t. Right now he is putting down the polymetric sand and getting ready to compact. I gave the guy a chance before I call his higher ups but it looks like he blew me off.

Just off hand, can anyone tell me the ICPI specs as far as the acceptable tolerance allowed for the dips and rolls. I think I found 3/8" per 10'. Is this correct? Also, What is the specs for the slope away from the house. Thanks in advance. And yes, as a homeowner I could have done a better job.

5. I not sure what the ICPI specs might be, but I'd recommend you visit the pavingexpert website - www.pavingexpert.com is about as good and accurate as it gets, and 1 inch of sand on a 4inch stone base doesn't make it
    It doesn't look like any where near enough excavation was done, the blocks at the end look like they are nearly 2 inches above finished level?
    How are the blocks going to be restrained?
    Doesn't look like the sub base was consolidated? for that matter was the formation grade levelled?
    mmmm not impressed.

6. EasternShoreVa

They are done compacting they put edge restraints on and are putting soil around the walkway now. The waves are still there. I will update with pictures tonight for all to see. This is a pretty well known company around here and I am suprised at the low quality of their work. As I stated earlier I did not see one level or string. It was all done by eye. The only thing I saw him do was screed the sand before laying the pavers.

7. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I know that around here, the start of the landscape season means that a lot of green workers are doing installations that they really don't have the skillset for. I work with several landscape construction companies (I do irrigation only) and I shudder at some of the early in the season jobs I have seen done.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

grab a 10 foot long 3/4 inside diameter black gas pipe from home depot and sit it on top of the walkway. Take a photo of the gap between pipe and paver.

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell him to fix these dips before he wets the polymeric sand. Its going to be a bit of a mess. Make sure he understands he won't get paid unless you are 100% satisfied. Oh, and it looks like his lines are crooked a bit. Sorry.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that does have a dip and i would call the office and tell them to send someone out to take care of it