ICPI compaction requirements

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Feb 16, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have a link. I am still using Wacker 1550 but if they raised the compation# , then I guess I will have to upgrade.

2. neversatisfiedj

From Tech pec 10 - I answered my own question

Once the pavers are placed in their specified pattern(s), they are compacted into the bedding sand with a plate compactor. The compactor should have a minimum force of 5,000 lbs. (22 kN) and frequency of 75 to 100 hz.

This is for vehicular traffic I believe though. I am questioning rather to change out my 1550 for somwthing bigger.

Any thoughts seasoned VETS ?? I just use the 1550 for patios - no vehicular apps.

Josh

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty soon their going to recommened using a 20 ton dual roller!

Honestly, i got to see how they how the heck i am going to a large compactor. Got to look for some deals on ebay.

After taking ICPI, i do not think my wacker 1550 will cut it for much longer.

4. neversatisfiedj

There is the one Chris uses on there going cheap. My 1550 is only 2 years old though ! And I compact in 2 inch lifts so I think I will be ok.

5. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

While we are on the subject of ICPI, I was wondering how tuff the level 1 cert program was to complete? I'm scheduled to take the two day coarse on the 20th & 21st.

Anything I should know b-4 I get there?

Thanx for your help

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't looked at the ICPI specs in some time, but rather than reccommend minimum sizes on compactors, why don't they recommend maximum lift hieghts for a given force range??

IOW- 2" lifts for 3-4k compactors, 3" lifts for 4-5k, etc, etc, etc???

7. neversatisfiedj

Thats what I'm saying D Felix - I do 2" lifts with my 1550. I would love a reason to get one of those 7000# reverible units though.

Josh

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Northern tool has one for about $2000.00 thats big and reversible. I wrote in a thread asking about it, and got some feedback to be wary of it. But if you search the forum someone from iowa bought one and loved it with no problem. I just won an ebay bid for a 1 year old lightly used 1550 for $750.00 though so someone else will have to test the one from northern tool.:)

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I saw that tamper on ebay this morning. I wonder if its made in china or soemthing. There has to be a reason why its so cheap.

Tampers to seem to get used very little. Seems like a need a huge job to blow through a tank of gas in my 1550 in a week.