1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ICPI guys, let me know...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Harley-D, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not doing hardscape full time anymore but i learned from a construction company in NJ years ago to use what we called Q4 as a base, then stone dust at about an inch, then sand at about 1/2 inch and between pavers. We always used stone dust and it's what i've always taught until reading the ICPI site. I've never seen or heard of seeing any issues with the use of "stone dust". But the stone dust i would use wasn't dusty at all. Drained great and had amazing compaction. I still teach and suggest using it for NON interlocking situations. Like garden path and colonial fieldstone walls. Is this wrong? What situations would you use/not use it? Thanks!

I have alot of respect for you guys in this part of lawnsite. You know what your talking about and i need to know if i'm teaching the wrong thing in my community college classes. (homeowner landscaping classes)
  2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

We use stonedust for cobblestone apron applications and some irregular dry set stone work. Even though clay brick cant achieve the interlock ICP can, we follow the same process as for ICP (8" base, 1" bedding sand, polymeric joints) just for the fact it's cleaner, weed free, and promotes drainage via slope rather than percolating through the patio.
  3. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

As long as the material meets ASTM C33 gradation requirements and is hard enough, you can use it.