Icpi Level 1 Course

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dstosh, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about taking a ICPI level 1 course. There is one locally in feb.

I dont really do any paver work-only because I'm not sure on how to properly do it.

I dont have a ton of knowledge on the subject but I'm not a total novice.

What's to expect from this course? Am I even ready to take it?

Thanks

2. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am sure you are ready to take it.
    It is entry level and is pretty basic.
    They will go over step by step how to put in pavers.
    After taking the course you will want to delete this thread.
    you will also want to start putting pavers. what they might not go over is investment of equipment.
    oh if you take the level 1 take the cap course and retaining wall class.
    good luck

3. Dan85

Dan85 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about going myself, but I think I'm gonna go to the one in Depew during March.

Let us know how it went!

- Dan

4. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to try the rochester one in feb first, only cause who knows what march will bring. I'd like to try the first availaibe one first and then fall back on the second one just in case of snow or other events.

I'll give you the skinny.

5. Pittsburgh Stone83

Pittsburgh Stone83 LawnSite Member

I think it's a great idea.They teach you the basic fundamentals that are the corner stone for any paver app. from driveways, to patios to walkways. If you pass or not may also depend on who's teaching the course. If you want I have a copy of the majority of the content in the ICPI manual that I use as part of my Operations manual for my employees. This is all material that is on the exam.Send me your email if you want it.

6. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

All the info (the class book) can be found on their website in .PDF format.

Pretty easy class, but at the same time a great way of educating those who don't really know much or anything about pavers. A great platform of knowledge to build on.

As good as a book class without hands on could do in teaching the material, although a lot will depend on who you have as a teacher, I've heard of some who were terrible.

The guy I had when I took it a few years ago was very good.

7. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to the one in depew in march, should be fun. We already do alot of pavers just going to learn something new.

8. Jim Bo

Jim Bo LawnSite Member

It's well worth the time and money. I agree with robtown, once your finished take the SRW Wall class. Plus they put your name / company name on there web site.

9. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Posted via Mobile Device

10. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I went last year in atlantic city. I think they should construct something for the class. it's all classroom
    Posted via Mobile Device