I'd be curious...what finally pushed you out of the lawn business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RECESSION PROOF MOWING, Feb 26, 2011.

1. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

This is risky to ask noting all the wisecrackers in the room, but this is serious. If you gave it up, hung up the trimmer, parked the mowers...what was your last straw?

2. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i'm still in business but i think it would be that they didn't make enough money to pay the bills

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

When expense out weighs profit basic math...

4. tcdodge4000

tcdodge4000 LawnSite Member

Bad financing/poor capital or little capital and bad cheap cusomer base, no contract, poor business decisions, ignorance, just being gamed out of business.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I just follow all you lawn boys on this site, soon as you all throw the towel in I will follow.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm an irrigation guy, but I think the reason would be the same...

Overwhelming loads of government paperwork.

Between payroll, sales tax, corporate tax, Workers Comp, etc, I spend too much time doing work for the government and not enough time working for money. I have no problem paying what's due, but the layers of mismatched systems and paperwork are insane.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Cash flow...I kept my expenses down, and I had a decent profit the last three years, but I couldn't keep cash in the bank.

I guess it boils down to bad financial decisions for me, although it didn't seem like that at the time.

I always thought I'd go against the odds...what is it, like 90% of small businesses fail within the first 5 years. Sure is humbling when you're wrong like that.

Live and learn, I guess. Might try it again later.

8. thielkinglawn

thielkinglawn LawnSite Member

I had the lawn service for 8 years, started in my junior year of high school and put me through college. But living at home and having your brother work for you always made things difficult. It was like American chopper; I knew it all, dad always had his input even though he wasn't involved, and the brother you couldn't motivate. So sold the business, had over 110 customers, and went on to what my degree was in.
    Funny thing is you can't stay away if it is in your blood, planning on starting up again on the side this spring.

Site has been good reading so far, thanks for advice.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Old age, Arthritis, aches and pains. I'm 68, got to the point where I could not work enough hours to support the upkeep of the equipment and service my customer base in a timely fashion. The joys of "the golden years".

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

A fair amount of the people who have thrown in the towel are no longer on lawnsite so I guess we wont hear those stories.