I'd like an honest opinion

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PCLL, Feb 21, 2007.

1. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

from some of you who have become very successful in the landscape business, not the lucky guy who cuts grass all day. -not that there's anything wrong with that.

say you are branching into another state and hiring someone to be your branch manager/sales rep. what do you expect the most from this person? I know the basics i think. represent the company the very best all day every day as if it were your own. i'm a landscape operation management student and i'm doing a good bit of residential rip out and design on my own, but i have accepted a position with a huge company, one that gross millions and millions of dollars and i am scared shirtless even though i have been in the business for a long time and this is my big break. still i am nervous.

i would like for anyone to post the things you look for in your company's right hand man. i think i am going to do great things with this firm and finally get the chance to showcase my talent and make a good living while not having the stress associated with being the owner.

2. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

I would get a very detailed job description from them and have them set your goals, with your input. Make sure that they set you up for succesess. You can work your A#$ but if it isn't the direction they want you going in it is all for not. My advice is the goals, get as much quantitative info you can out of them for exactly what they expect. A huge company should have a good idea of how they became successful and where they need to go. Don't try to just go this on your own, if you want to do that stay in business for yourself

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think you'll do just fine working for a great company like you describe, and I wish you the best of luck.