I'd like to hear from the Ford guys

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Feb 10, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trading my 3/4 Chev 2500 in on a new 2000 Ford 350 XL 4wd, auto, V10, w/great lakes dump body. This will be my first new ford.

Question: One dealer has a new 2000 Ford 450, same set up except the 450 has a stick and the 350 is an auto. The price is only going to be about $30 difference per month on payments. Other than having a much bigger gvw, 15,000 vs. 11,000, what other differences are there?

Question: Both of these vehicles are on the lot and ready to go. They both have air conditioning, which I don't ever use in the work trucks and I would prefer not to have. I know it's was an option that they included, but I was wondering if they would take it out of the truck for be and credit me?

Question: Plowing - I'd probably put an 8.5 v and maybe a small vbox or a fisher or western 2stage salt spreader (I only spread about 1 ton of salt per run). With these two trucks is there going to be any difference in plowing performance?

I know this is a long post and I truly appreciate your advise. I'm going to make a decision on Monday.

Thanx
    Ron

Question:

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Ron,
    Do you need to buy right away?
    Anyway I would stay with automatic
    v10 isn't going to give you great milage
    I would go with diesel
    Not likely they will take the air off.
    There are alot of trucks like this one on the lots.
    Good Luck

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If it was me, I would get the F 450, even if it has a stick.

I am a fan of autos, I will admit that, this is because several different people drive my trucks. However if you the owner will be the only one driving the truck, and don't mind useing a stick, I would get the F 450.

The F 450, has a higher GVW, allowing you to carry the v-box better than the F 350. This would allow you to carry more salt when needed or carry the 1 ton of salt while plowing.

The F 450, would also allow you to get the 9.5' V-Plow. I really do think the 8.5' V-plow is too small for a truck with DRW.

Again, the higher payload of the F 450 is always good. Ya never know when you will need to haul more weight. Trailer towing is increased.

My only other idea is this.

If you really want the auto, Order an F 450 with an auto, that will add about 1K to the price.

Hey for 30 dollars more, get the F 450.

Geoff

4. RB

Thanx guys, that helps.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know how long you keep your trucks, but it might be a little tougher to sell without the air conditioning. good luck with your new vehicle

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

RB,what are they giving you for the chevy?I might have a buyer.give details and options/mileage.I dont know how far from NJ you are,but meadowlands Ford has a nice used F450 dump-a 99,auto,34K miles,and several new 450's,they might have the options you want.Thanks JD

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

On the fords, in 2000,they were giving away the AC for free if you bought a stick, so they shouldnt charge for that option anyway.
    I would also get the 450 and a 9.5' v plow. But as a matter of clarity, I think the f-350 c&c has a 12K gvw. Is that right Geoff??
    Dino

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

12500 GVW.

My Vote is the F 450. If you the owner will be the only one driving it, and you don't mind a stick, buy the F 450.

If ya don't mind waiting, I would order an F 450 the way you want it.

Geoff

9. RB

Thanx again guys.

10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Get the F450, but get an automatic. Shifting will get really old after a while with a lot of plowing. Right now you only need a ton of salt to do your route. How much will you need next year? If your route increases you'll need the extra capacity. Also get the 9.5' V-plow. The truck is big enough and the cost isn't that big of a deal to add the bigger plow. The A/C is good for the resale.