Id love more OVERHEAD!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Oct 24, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you agree that it would be a good thing for our equipment to cost much more. Im talking a $15k wb, $25k ztr.

Before you respond that im crazy, think of this. If you are a good businessman(woman), then you will realize that all your costs are directly passed on to your clients. If there was such a justification for these higher priced machines, then all business owners would purchase them and therefore each businesses prices will be inline. With these high initial costs, we would not have the problem with weekend warriors, part timers, or just layed off workers. The thinking is that they would soil their shorts over the initial purchase cost. It would also weedout the crummy business owners. With overhead costs so high, the businessman would have to know his numbers to the dot, and those who dont would quickly go under.

I realize that for LCOs to purchase machinery at these high costs, there must be economicy justification. I dont have the answers, but i can honestly say that if there comes along a machine that will make such an investment worthwile, i would jump on in a hearbeat. I think the product for this niche ought to be able to drive and program itself, and last for at least 12000 hours, consume low amounts of fuel, and ......

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

and.... have laser beams to cut the grass?

just wait, you'll be able to spend your $25k.

3. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

methinks a LOT of folks who I cut now would have a nice riding tractor and say sayonara, Norm! What would my $35, half hour accounts be then, about $150? And the scrubs would be using tractors too, Heck, if a w/b was 15 grand, I'd be a scrub.
    Norm

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think if equipment cost that much, you'd have a lot more scrubs running around with $300 push mowers seriously underbidding everyone and getting all the accounts. Mowers are pretty similar in price now, you are looking at at least $3000 for a wb and at least $5000 for a rider. It may vary from there, but most of us who have big machines have paid those prices, and rates still vary widely. $3000 is a lot to drop on a machine, but you still have lots of 'weekend warriors' and small timers getting in and out of the biz. Higher equipment rates won't mean higher or equalized lawn cutting rates.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

While I can follow your line of thinking, I believe it leads to a dead end.
    Overhead goes to astronomical levels, few will be legitimately in the business, way fewer will even consider hiring an LCO, so even those in the business would have no use for their high dollar equipment and have to sell it off for pennies, leading back to the ones that were driven out of business earlier.
    Or if the homeowners have stopped laughing from the $150 a week quote to cut their grass, would have bought their own machines.
    Believe your idea is built on a sand foundation, and the tide is coming in.;)

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me rephrase a portion of my question.... How much would a machine that eliminates your direct labor be worth to you? See where im going on this??? 15, 20, 25K per year?

7. Everything you say is true. The market already exists.
    It's the wide area mowing market. I've been doing wide area mowing since '87 Before that I was just running 6' mowers.

The LCO in Hillsboro just bought a Toro 580-D too.

If you get one too we'll just divide up Southern Ohio between the 3 of us.:D

Dave

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If you can make a machine that weed trims, edges and blows off the sidewalks, I might consider it. Actually, no I wouldn't. Mowers now are very powerful, very fast, and mowing isn't really the most time consuming part of the service. It's all the other stuff that takes a while and extends a service visit.

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure if I follow. For your proposal to work, we would need for the manf. and retailers to discontinue all homeowner machines. We know that wont happen.
    And secondly you would need some sort of spell to cast over homeowners and business owners to want grass and not just pave over everything or make only natural areas.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Mac, there will always be a market for these machines used at pennies on the dollar. These people will then undercut you.