ID please; grass/weeds????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gsxr1100, Jul 3, 2007.

1. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Hi - I moved from MA to TX and cannot figure out what grass / weeds I have. If weeds, what herbs will help. I have signed up for a Lic since I was one in MA. I have some extra stuff from up north. :)

Any help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

looks to me like common bermuda growing in St. Augustine?

3. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

this darn forum won't let me edit my post.

if anyone can confirm that what i thought it was is true. from my understanding, you guys have a lot of St. Augustine in Texas.

If this is common Bermuda in St. Augustine (that would the the thin wirey stuff) and you prefer to keep the thicker St. Augustine grass, then I don;t think that you have too many options. We use Vantage to knock back common Bermuda in Centipede lawns. It takes multiple applications and I'm not convinced that anything can truly kill this stuff. It even comes back from Roundup @ a 4% solution. I read somewhere that common Bermuda reproduces by seed, stolon, and rhyiomes and that root systems have been shown to grow up to 36" deep. Even if you use roundup on the whole place, till it, and re-sod, you will probably still get the common Bermuda back at some point :(

I've seen some people suggest using multiple applications of Atrizine (although that doesn't make much sense to me, but Atrizine will harm the nice Hybrid Bermuda like we have down south). I've also heard tell of using Triclopyr, but have never tried it.

I'm kinda new to the site but maybe Ric will drop by and offer his opinion.

I'll tell you what I did in my own Centipede lawn at home. I killed the Centipede with MSMA and now I maintain my Common Bermuda lawn :) I bet the neighbors hate me........but my lawn sure does look nice mowed at 1"

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

yes....bermuda growing in St Augustine.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

The Guy that comes up with that answer is worth a million dollars. Vantage kills St Augustine.

6. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

so what is better to keep. I assume St. Aug?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Doubt he would want to kill all the St Augustine ...but msma will do the trick....let them go and if in the sun and watered I think the St Augustine will win.

8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

thanks. I like the ST. Aug and would like to get rid of the bermuda. I might try some Triclopyr this week on a spot and see what happens. Hard trying to find out what I have down here.

The sucky part is the damn rain here. It is like Seattle here...

9. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Yea I forgot to mention that we only use vantage in centipede.

Best bet if you wanna keep the St. Augustine is probably to fertilize it and leave it mowed to about 3-4 inches and hope that it shades out the bermuda and out competes it.

Even if you use roundup and then patch the dead SA with some sod, the Bermuda is gonna come back.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DSTC

Prograss by Bayer is labeled to SUPPRESS Bermuda in St Augustine. However from personnel poor experience and cost factors of using Prograss it is cheaper to totally kill and re-sod. Shade is the big factor Between St Augustine and Bermuda. S.A. Likes 70% sun and Bermuda likes 100%. To tent the area with shade cloth is an other impractical solution.