ID Please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Laner, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from a customer today asking if I would stop by and look at her lawn. She has a lot of dead-looking areas all over the lawn and the grass is getting very thin. I pulled some areas up and took them with me. I have not been exposed to many of the possible lawn diseases/fungus, so I am asking for help to identify this and possibly offer a suggestion to this lady.

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

looks like a leaf blight disease with the black dots on the green grass and the melting out with it dying from the top down the blade.

maybe ascochyta leaf blight

3. Laner

Took a sample in to my local extension office. They felt that it looked like Leaf Spot. If this is the case, what is the best method of control?

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

A picture of the turf area/conditions would be helpful

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

The cheapest way is change the water cycle and think about aeration to assist with drainage (not this time of the year) and use a higher N to push the spot out. Unless you want to fork the cake over to spray fungicides and really once you see it, its not worth it (fungicides are more of preventative messure for suseptable turf areas). I really would not be to concered about in a residential setting.

6. mdlwn1

7. Laner

I will try to get some pics this weekend and post them. My initial thoughts were to aerate, seed and fertilize early this fall.

8. Laner

Got some pics of the lawn yesterday.

20070812 (4).jpg

20070812 (8).jpg

20070812 (7).jpg

9. mdlwn1

Is there irrigation?

You can't really tell what's up from the pics...sorry, but here is what I can easily see.
    1. It's nice and green under the shade.
    2. Not so nice where the sun hits.

Do you know how to look for cinch bugs?

I thought I had a dry spot until I looked down at the crown of a few areas. BAM!!! There were several generations...littlerally 100's.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think I see crabgrass along the edge (seedheads). Might even be some clumps of tall fescue too. Next to this, it sure looks like heat/drought damage on a Kentucky bluegrass lawn. As far as leaf spot goes, I don't think there's a lawn out there that doesn't have it.