ID please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

starting to spread through one of my lawns. rhizomes, hairs, blades look almost like tall fescue but isn't. doesn't grow in bunches and is taller than blue/rye lawn.

anyone?

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rhizome in the right picture looks like quackgrass. Tough situation--no selective control product. Prominent in early spring--less noticable later on. Prefers thin lawns.

3. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I agree with Riggle - quackgrass. Very nasty stuff to get rid of. If you've got large patches hit it with Roundup, rake out the dead remains and reseed. For small patches let it get tall and wipe on the Roundup. Quack grass thrives in thin turf. Getting the turf healthy and thick will prevent
    it from coming back.

Good luck... I dread quack grass.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh huh...wick applicator or a sponge (& rubber gloves) with Roundup. Check the Rup label for the higher "wick applicator" rates.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That is the Venomous Tentacular. Native to the mountains of Hogwarts.

6. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

Look for clasping auricles. Definitely Quackgrass if it has clasping auricles. Hopefully Tenacity will labeled soon for home lawns.

7. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I don't see Quackgrass on the Tenacity label.

8. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

I was my understanding it does control Quackgrass. I have not read the label, just something I heard.

9. SpreadNSpray

from MN

I hope your right. From the label Tenacity looks like a good product for cool season turf. And if it controls Quack Syngenta hit a home run.

10. SpreadNSpray

from MN