ID This Disease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I have a customer that has a tree with disease or fungus on it. I've attached a picture so you can see what it is. They asked me what it was and I told them quite honestly that I didn't know, but I'd try to find out for them what it is and what to use to fix it. I will NOT be doing any applications/spraying for them as this particular customer likes to do some yardwork themselves and it something that he wants to take care of before the tree dies entirely. So, what is this white stuff?

BTW, These leaves were DARK RED in color earlier today when I plucked them off the tree. The Red faded and now they are green. Thanks.

leaves0001a.jpg

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

almost looks like snow!!:D

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Cottony Scale

Have your customer contract a tree spraying service.

That much of a problem will affect the tree. In much smaller populations is not much to worry about.

4. Looks like powdery mildew to me
    seen in cool wet/humid conditions-
    Is it a Japanese maple?

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I believe the tree is a Japanese Maple.
    And here in Central NJ, it has been 83-88 degrees for a long time, and August has seen inches and inches of rain already. Humidity hasn't been lower than 70% in I don't know how long. <G>

I disagree on the cottony scale idea because in looking that up, that's like lumps of larvae that turn into bugs. This is much thinner and is much more like a mold or fungus.

Gary

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I agree with Bob. Powdery Mildew.