Idea for a sub forum to this forum

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by desert night light, Aug 13, 2006.

1. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

A forum where manufacturers, associations and distributors are free to talk about and even promote their products and services as much as they care to.....HOWEVER in exchange for that ability they must agree to spend ONE DAY PER MONTH on "the hot seat" where they are the featured company and they MUST answer praise, criticisms, questions, challenges, suggestions etc. from the members of the forum, both end users and competitors, etc.

The forum itself shall accept no advertising (ie: on banner ads, no sponsorship, etc.). The sole means of income shall be a monthly subscription paid by all forum members. I would suggest $20/mo. to compensate the administrator/moderator (Lawnsite) for their time and bandwidth.

Those associations/manuf/dist. who choose not to participate in such a forum because they don't want to face the possible criticism are sending a message loud and clear which says "we don't care what you think". Those who do take their place on the hotseat and actively listen and discuss the merits/problems with their products also send us a message "We care what you think".

A board like this would be a great place for manufacturers and distributors to get ideas on how to improve their existing products and develop future products. The membership would be able to provide valuable input on functionality, design, improvements, etc.

When faced with a product criticism, does a manufacturer take input on possible ways to fix the problem or do they just make excuses and pass blame....or leave the forum altogether? All of these things will help the consumer decide where and with whom they choose to spen their hard earned money.

One day a month, that's all we ask.

I would call the forum "The Next Level of Light - the cutting edge of lighting".

Would you pay a monthly fee to tell your LVL manuf. the weakness of their system, and how you feel it needs to be improved? Would you like to have your input in the direction of the industry?

I think the subscription would help weed out the bogus posters like me and those there just to heckle lime me...and we could have some really great discussion, debate and ultimately a better, more responsive industry as a whole.

Manufacturers, distributors, associations and contractors all stand to win with a forum like this IF they are willing to listen.

Now flame away.:weightlifter:
  2. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

can't speak for other manufactuerer's but nightscaping does just that on 2 levels. night chat and night bull. 2 forums for nightscaping contractors where ideas are shared and quite frequently criticisms are raised. I often call nightscaping directly with problems and they work hard to help me out.
  3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I just returned from Cleveland, Ohio yesterday where Kichler paid to fly myself and several other contractors from all over the U.S. and even a Canadian to do that very thing. It was a focus group to discuss our likes and dislikes with their products.
  4. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Read my post again very carefully. I said it would be open to all including competitors unlike those venues described that are friendly fire only.