Idea for another forum

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Now before this thread gets kicked to the off-topic forum - read it first please. It does have to do with Commercial lawn care and LCOs in this forum.

I was just thinking today about the other forum here; the Homeowners' Assistance Forum. It doesn't appear to be all that popular for LCOs. And I can understand why. I don't go there because A) It's difficult to troubleshoot landscaping problems for someone in a totally different climate with totally different plants and turf B) There is no incentive for me and C) There is nothing I will learn there.

But what if we could change that a little? Today I thought of an idea that would at least get rid of A and B.

What if homeowners who posted messages were told that once they posted a message, they'd get at least 2-3 responses from local LCOs? So as soon as a message is posted from someone from Dallas, TX - 3 LCOs on this board (who would first be signed up for this program) would be notified via email that they had an "advice request" from a local homeowner.

A forum like this is far superior for both the homeowner and the LCO. The homeowner gets advice from a local who knows the climate, turf, soil conditions, common problems, etc. And the LCO gets a chance to share his knowledge and company name with a perspective future client.

We could be helping these people out a lot more than we currently are and potentially adding future business at the same time. This site could potentially generate leads for us.

What do you all think? Chuck? Everyone else?

2. Sounds good, but on the flip side those same people could research us, and discover (if we posted them) our pricing structure and other sorts of imformation we post .

Moron customer threads.

I drove my mower down stairs and couldn't get it out, then the kid who lives there drove it through a fence thread.

Peeing in the bushes.

Nude sunbathers threads

ETC.....

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Without being able to digest this idea yet and only a half cup of coffee, I'd say it sounds pretty good. Sort of like a professional referral system. I spread the word about this site to a lot of homeowners during the course of a day, wonder how many actually check it out?

4. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I try my best to keep this site out of the homeowners eyes. All my marketing is geared specifically towards a certain demograhic.

The homeowners who happen upon this site generally are those who have larger properties that are maintained by themselves. They are looking for better equipment to get the job done faster.

Most "home owners" not interested in this industry would quickly become bored and leave.

But, similar ideas you have mentioned have been pondered and currenlty being worked on. Pierre and I will have news shortly.

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

sign me up I got nothing else to do with the drought! whats our cut for on call status. I agree there should be no link to lawnsite because many times lcos come here to vent because no-one else will listen. The idea has merrit because many people who watch home improvemnt shows don't actually do the work themselves. It is just a great way to put ideas in thier heads. The only way to geta profitable maintenance route is to concentrate in a small area to keep travel time low. Hoping to attract new customers on the internet in your area seems like a low % bet to me. However, sharing the wealth always makes for a motivated person.

6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I think one of the reasons more LCOs don't go to the homeowner forum is that we don't want to be trouble shooting or recommending equipment that we ourselves wouldn't be caught dead with.

I get enough of this with people I meet everyday without specifically looking for more on a forum.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Chuck...thanks for trying to keep this site "for our eyes only"....when I first visited LS a year ago, the Homeowner Forum being so closely indexed with our professional forums puzzled me.

Frankly I'd like to not see it there at all. First of all LS would not exist if the sponsors did not support it. Secondly, these sponsors are targeting us , not Harry Homeowner. Harry will buy his junk at WM or Lowes. Scotts, John Deere, MTD and others already have homeowner sites that fit that bill.

So why allow any, non professional, to have access to the inside information about our pricing, operating and marketing strategies?? For what purpose?. It makes no business sense...and if only a couple hundred 'Harrys' watch our info sharing, that's a couple hundred more than we need. I dont mean to be too opinionated about this but it just makes no sense.

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

DOH!!! I didn't think of those points.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I always wanted to find a way to get LCO's in certain geographical areas together for area specific topics. I don't know what bermuda grass is and I don't plan on cutting it. I am not dirting on anyone but some topics are specific to an area and it gets hard to read thru posts to see if the topic is relevant to my operation.

As always I am not making a criticism, just an observation. I like the site and I am glad it exists. I am just selfishly thinking out loud to try and make my experience better.

10. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

"First of all LS would not exist if the sponsors did not support it."

Wrong, LS would exist if I did not have a single $$ supporting sponsor. If need be, I would get a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th job to keep this going. If I EVER got into financial trouble that threatened this community I would make a public announcement.

"these sponsors are targeting us , not Harry Homeowner"

Not necessarily true, ... Check out the second post down in the home owner forum titled Looking For Locking Lawn Mower Gas Caps .

Do you really think the average "Harry Homeowner" cares about the business aspects of lawn care or your operation? I needed a plumber last month but never started to care how he ran his business, priced his work, marketed his business, etc., etc., .. I just wanted my plumbing fixed. Boring stuff to the normal guy.

The homeowner forum keeps the persons who happen upon LS from posting to the commercial forum.