Idea for cemetary headstones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I can't take credit for this, I saw it in my latest issue of L&L. Use Primo Maxx around the headstones to reduce the trimming. I still don't want to do any cemetaries though, unless they're the kind with the flat markers,nothing to bump into and knock over.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If Primo works the way I hear, the cemetery will look funny with darker grass around the head stones, and because no one normally does or can afford to, the rest of the cemetery will not have fertiziler......
    Just my two cents, too...

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If the cemetary board will let you, apply Roundup and Surflan around the headstones. No trimming for the whole season.

4. Doc Pete

I must say, I weed wack every week and there's nothing that looks so nice as the cemetery cut and trimmed smoothly.
    DP

5. Doc Pete

Yeah, but aren't those borders of mud/dirt around each stone ugly????

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That is how i got the cemetary i have now, The previous company used round up and/ or trimmed the grass to the dirt so he could skip the stones, needless to say he got too many complaints and out he went, i trim my stones each week

7. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

apply Embark with a little iron(grass will yellow with straight embark) and you can't even tell anything was applied and no trimming for 5 weeks.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes...I have not personally used Primo Maxx, but I have heard testimonials of other that have used it at cemeteries and it works well for that.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I attended a seminar recently and a PBI/Gordon rep was there. The consensus was that if you applied Embark to healthy, unstressed turf you should have very little perceptable discoloration of the grass. I agree that the addition of a touch of iron would help eliminate even slight discoloration.

This is also a good suggestion for lawn edges to minimize trimming and edging on virtually any lawn maintenance account.

10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

We can't use anything at the cemetary we maintain, have to trim it every time. They pay well so we have been using a steel shield we built to protect the headstones, just flat and takes long time but done by a retired fellow ho works for us and he doesn't minf taking a whole day to trim around headstones. Wish we could use chems..