Idea for faux bottom drain. Good/bad?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by fmjnax, Apr 7, 2008.

1. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

In digging my pond, I keep coming up with ideas that I think might be beneficial to my overall goal. I'm not shooting for an entirely low-maintenance pond. I'm in the area of 2500 gallons and want it to be as [Texas] natural as possible. It will be stocked with bluegill/sunfish. I've opted against a bottom drain (it just won't fit in with my plans with a submersible pump). However, since I know the benefits a bottom drain can bring, I've been thinking of ways that I can simulate some of these benefits. For the "muck" accumulation and disposal, I've thought of this:

Would I be crazy if I dig a cylindric hole (maybe something the size of a 1 gallon bucket or a plastic tree/shrub planter) at the absolute deepest part of the pond and slope everything towards this? The liner will cover everything as normal (no bulkheads or cuts in it). I will then put in a physical bucket (again, like a 1 gallon bucket or a plastic tree/shrub planter). I will weigh it down with a small layer of gravel.

My vision is that all the muck will find its way down to this bucket, which I can then relatively easily retrieve and clean (install some sort of handle or hooking mechanism). The submersible pump will be in close proximity to this faux settlement chamber. Getting the exact placement is going to be trial-and-error I think. The finer details I haven't thought about yet, but I wanted to run the idea past you professionals here before I really started to rack my brain on it.

So what do you think?

2. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

There was a thread about bottom drains a few weeks back. I have a system I use that simulates a bottom drain. Basically you sink a pondless pump vault in the center of your pond with a pump about 1/4 size of your main pump and tee it in to your main line.

TR

3. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

I'll look out for that post TR. I remember the big Bottom Drain thread, but didn't read through it all :eek:

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

In the pond I am building right now I am using a technique that a well known water feature designer showed me. You can run a length of pvc pipe in the deepest part of your pond. Drill holes or cut slots with a miter saw down the length of the pipe. Run this back to your skimmer where your submersible pump is. This will help circulate water in the depths of your pond as well as take the gunk back through your filtration as it settles. I will take a photo in the next couple of days and post it in my thread about the project.