Idea of what you would charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ron mexico75, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

So I have the number in my head. I wanted to see if I am way high, way low or about right. I haven't seen this in person yet so this is just a "ballpark number" I am giving this person. If it's within their range then I will go out in person and give an estimate. It's about a 30-40 minute drive and I don't want to waste the time and gas if they are just kicking tires.

I gave a number to the person for a lawn install. Removing straw, tilling, getting out rocks, hand grading, seed fert lime, cover with organic material.

They said the number I gave wasn't within their budget. They could seed fert lime and cover. Now they want a price from me to till, clean out rocks and rake even. It's a new construction so it's obviously rock hard and we haven't had rain in a while.

I don't want to tie up any money in a dingo rental. I own a Honda FRC 800 tiller which will do the job. Was planning on hand grading using my wide grading rake. Rake any rocks into piles, shovel into a wheelbarrow and dump in wood line. Before that I was going to blow/rake all the straw into the wood line too.

I'm aware that the job could be easier with a dingo etc. But, I could use some extra money for a job I wasn't anticipating and don't want to be too high. Already was told the lawn install number was out of budget. Like I said, I have a number I am going to tell him and am not asking to be told what to charge. I'm just curious to see what others would charge for what I just explained I am planning to do.

Attached are some pics. You can see the edge of the house roof in the first one. Going off of that and what looked to be a maybe 7 gallon crepe myrtle, I'm guessing 5000-6000 sq ft roughly unless you think I'm totally off. Like I said, I'd measure in person before giving a hard number.

yard1.jpeg

yard2.jpg

yard3.jpg

2. ron mexico75

Anybody....?

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

How did you get pictures of the job site without going in person first?. Did you use a drone?, that was not a joke either. What was your number to charge?. How many hours did you calculate to complete the job?.
    I need more information before I can give an informed bid on this project.
    easy-lift guy

4. ron mexico75

Ha ha, yeah the new drone technology would be great wouldn't it. The homeowner took them and sent them to me.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a couple huge boulders in the back ground. That would be enough to scare me away. Interested to hear what the site really looks like if you go there.

6. ron mexico75

those are root balls of trees that were pushed over by the builder when clearing the lot.

7. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

so the job is till, remove rocks and grade and the size is 5-6k sq ft?

seems like almost a full day of work....$500?

do i have the job description right?

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do that kind of work on small lots in California, back in 1990 it would have been a 400$ to 500$ job.

Personally since your 45 minutes away I wouldn't touch it, chances are it never gets watered and wont grow. I alaways checked up on the ones I did, usually daily till they started growing.

9. ron mexico75

Yup, and the sq footage is just an estimate by me looking at the pics.

My number is a little higher than that. Only because it's out father out than I normally work. Added in some extra "just in case". I'm sure I'd be hitting bricks, trash, 2x4's etc. you know how new home sites are.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ron mexico75

Ok, if it was around that 20 some years ago I guess I'm not too far off. You are right though, without irrigation in an area that big, very few homeowners are going to be watering properly and moving the sprinkler 4-5 times a day.

If he just wants me to till and he's doing the rest, I really don't care how it comes in you know? Would have different feelings if I was doing it all for him. Could be another lawn install next year for me when he wishes he just paid the quote I gave him along with great advice and very detailed after care instructions.
    Posted via Mobile Device