idea to clear IVY

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yorkpaddy, Apr 15, 2002.

1. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I'm getting a lot of requests to clear out ivy. I'm thinking of getting a stihl fs-200 trimmer, thats 36 cc's. and putting a fixed head .130 head or a brush blade on it. My FS-85 can't even spin the .130 head to the propper speed without touching grass. Would this set up, work to clear out ivy, including the roots. I think the .130 would work better, because if I go down low to clear the roots its not going chuck my trimmer all over the place like a blade would

2. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just pull it up? It should come out easy and that would be the way to get the roots out.

3. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

Using a person with a pitchfork, lifting the ivy off the ground, another person cutting that bunch with hedge trimmers, has made short work of clearing ivy for us. Then following up with a trimmer with brush blade.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've used a sickle bar on a bcs tiller that worked great, some rental stores have them.

get under on one side and cruise on, but you'll still have to pull roots if you want to rid the beds of them.

if you just want to trim them, i use a long reach hedge trimmer to trim them back, then rake and blow off the clippings.

5. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I was thinking that with the .130 line I could turn it up side down like I was edgin a side walk. And cut lines through the roots, maybe a parralell line every foot or so. Then that stuff would be easy to rake up. And yes I'm talking about totally clearing the ivy for a future bed.

The FS200 is expensive, about $500 -$600, but I want one. And I think doing ivy clean ups like this I could make $60-100 an hour, so it'd pay for itself quickly

6. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've cleared several ivy beds and have turned them into lawns and i've had to try just about everything you can think of to find what works best... what you need to do is get a hedge trimmer with double sided blades.. i use an echo articulating one so i can stand up and cut parallel to the ground.. cut the ivy as low as you can with the trimmer, rake off the major clippings and use a pitchfork to pick it up with... then once you get the area good and knocked down use a lawn mower that you don't care too much about and mow over the roots... when that is as low as you can get use a rototiller with the tines spinning so they pull and lift the roots up toward the surface.. then rake the surface after it's tilled repeat tilling and raking until it's sufficently ivy free...i'd charge about $1.00 per 4 sqft with a minimum charge of 100.00