1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

idea to get buisness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbob, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

i do some business for a Realtor(2 small apt complexes,2 lots, 2 rental houses and some one timers) was wanting to try to get hooked up with some more realtors so today(sun) i am looking in the paper where all the open houses will be and i will go by and try to talk to the agent and give them my card. some time the agent helps people find lco when someone is putting house up for sale and moving away.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck.
    My experience with realtors has been less than exciting. Hopefully you run into some decent ones. I could go on but I won't. You are on the right track in the fact that you are trying to get some business going.
    The realtor may just throw your card away since there is no incentive for them to give it but keep a list of every address that you know is for sale and periodically check back. After the house is sold is a great time to drop by or send your sales flyer.
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with mow ed, i have dealt with realtors in this bus. and a previous bus., i try to stay away from them. good luck.
  4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

most realtors give a 'welcome to the neighborhood' pack to new homeowners. includes coupons and numbers to local retailers like pizza joints etc. i have been meaning to look into this...
  5. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

There is quite a bit of pros and cons when dealing with the realty aspect . Here is one of each in my experiences with them, although I will tell you I stay away from that end of it these days.

1. I had one realtor who would call once someones lease was up on their rented property, the good part of it was she would tell me they had a certain amount of money in escrow from their deposit, and I could charge up to a certain amount......That was a pro.

2. The con side is the yards are usually overgrown and unkept. A lot of work for a one time deal and you are not benefiting from the service side.
  6. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I agree with Taylor, I do work for one of the bigest realtors in the city. He is also a builder so some of the work is nasty, the common grounds of housing additions are nice though.

They're just sailsmen keep that in mind.
  7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I agree with all the above you are probably just as well with the phone book and fax or e mail.look up property manger just an idea. + you don't have to leave the house
  8. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

well i made a great contact. i may not get any lawn business but i have a date with a very pretty agent. also talked to a couple of agents that may work into some work.
  9. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

congrats, chicks love'em some lawnboy

p.s. I don't suggest dating your customers nanies, it did'nt work out and things got wierd.