Idea to get commercial work for free

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 4, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I sat down today with phone and phonebook. Called apartments, restaurants, etc. and introduced myself and asked if they were accepting bids for this year? Some didn't answer the phone, some had already signed, but several said sure come out sometime. Hey, it's free and now I have to give bids on 2 or 3 apartment complexes and one or two restaurants. I'm jumping headfirst into commercial's..
    so... do you price commercial's any differently than residentials? I guess I am going to measure sq. footage, linear feet of trimming and sq. ft. of blowing and linear feet of edging and go from there. What kind of payment plans do they usually prefer?

Oh and one is a government housing cooperative, mom said be careful I could possibly get in a mess. Kind of like mowing in the ghetto but apartment style and usually people that aren't playing with all 52 cards if you know what I mean. Any experience with this, should I just bid on it or is it kind of dangerous and I should just pass?
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you insured? If not for atleast 300,000 liability kiss the apt's good bye. Also refrences are usually a must and if they don't have a maintanance crew to do the snow removal ya better go buy a whole lotta Scag WB's. ;)
  3. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

My commercials pay monthly per cut same as my residentials so I'm no expert on payment options.When you price commercial don't forget to price for extra time picking up garbage. If the properties are along busy streets you can spend a lot of time walking the property.
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Is Mom going to drop you off in the mini van? Putting the cart before the horse are we?
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Husker, am working on the insurance... my agent was supposed to call me back (but didn't of course). I am licensed as well. By wintertime I will hopefully have truck and plow (especially if any of these need it).

Lawnspecialties, thanks. I had thought about that ;)

cos, it isn't a mini van but thanks anyway.
  6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Do you have your driver's license yet?
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Will have...

permit for now.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta give him gumption...that's for sure.

Though I think Eric, you will have some problems landing commercial accounts regardless of how much insurance you have. Your age and experience will be a factor even if a propsective client doesn't ask how old you are. They simply may not be able to do business with you cause you are under 18.

Anyway, all I can say is "Good Luck"!
  9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the thread just a few down from this one asking "if anyone ever handled HUD accounts." Sounds pretty nightmarish. HUD is a form of government housing but there are many types.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thank you rodfather :angel:

Gr grass n Hi tides, I'll check it out. There are several HUD apts. in the book.