Idea to get new Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Hey i had an idea on how to get some more accounts... I figured i would talk to a local gas station on a busy road. Park my truck and trailer with all the equipment, and put a sign up saying Free Gas Card With Lawn Care...or something like that...basicaly if people sign up for a year contract they will recieve like a $15 gas card. let me know what you think
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

mow naked.

I do.

It works.
  3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if it was that easy every gas station in the US would have lawn care companies hanging out in their lots all day,and plumbers,and masons,and doctors and lawyers and and and...dont think so!
  4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

You know you have to try this because it's your Idea, you will never know if it doesn't work if you don't try. Let'us know how it worked out ...OK.
  5. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yeah if you pick up accounts that would fire their lawn guy for $15 bucks their not going to be the best customers
  6. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bet the owner of the station would be a little peeved if he got 25 people a day coming into his biz just to inquire about the offer and not buying anything from him. Even if you put a sign NOT to inquire within,folks are gonna do it.

Other than that it might not be a bad idea. If you do it be sure to report back on your results.
  7. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

It would probably work with an independent gas station.When you think
    of the cost of a new account, why not try it and see?
  8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

So if it is a really busy day and a lot of people say 50 come in to this gas station for their "free gas card courtesy of you" in exchange for lawn service, lets see thats $750 for one day. And what about the next day, or does this campaign only last 1 day, 2 days etc? Sounds good on paper, but thats a lot of money you'll have to spend for one day of advertising. There are other methods that are cheaper for acquiring customers.
  9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

5 gallons of gas, about a 1/4 tank for a yearly contract sound like nothing to me. Maybe a $100 card, what % would that be if you gave a discount on your y/c, prepaid? Get it prepaid of course.
  10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

seriously, that's a good idea. If it works for car dealers and other businesses, why not in your line of work? Another incentive you could try is a gift card to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, or another store that folks like to shop at (non necessity store). Simply discounting pricing to offer incentive to buy your product or service doesn't always work. People are skeptical of alot of things when they see a discounted price, but when they hold something in their hand, they see the value.

Here's another one. Set up outside a major grocery store and offer $50-$75 cash back when they spend $100 or more and bring you their receipt.

You could go with either approach depending on your area. People have to buy gas and they have to buy groceries. They definitely appreciate the value of something they have to buy on a regular basis. On the other hand, you could give incentive for customers to shop at a non-necessity store, a place they really wanna shop. The gas card or grocery store idea is more appealing to me.