1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Idea to get rid of Illegal Competition

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if this has ever been tried in an area or by other businesses but I was thinking of trying to band together with the other landscaping, lawncare, etc businesses in my area that are legal businesses to rid our area of Joe Schmoe with no insurance, business license, etc.

I'm not sure how I would do it. I guess I'm thinking that calling all of the businesses, that do things the right way, together to get rid of those who are out to make some quick beer money would only benefit the legal companies in the area. It would stop the lowballing and get rid of those who don't claim taxes which then helps the county and state (another benefit for me). This also benefits the homeowners because all work would insured and protected.

I guess as a band of LCO's would could create some sort of awareness of illegal operators by running ads about checking for insurance and licenses before work is started.

Any thoughts?
  2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only seen something similar done. In a neighboring city ALL snow plow companies have to registar with the city and show X amount of insurance then they must have a sticker on the front windshield for that year.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying to eliminate illegals is like pi**ing in the wind! When there is a buck to be made, someone will show up to fill the niche-its a part of the capitalist system. I gave up on trying to change human behavior a couple of days after getting out of college, instead, I try to improve my work, get more customers, educate customers to make the right descision, etc,etc, anything that doesn't waste my time! Just my $ .02!:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  4. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Don't worry. No offense taken. I do the same thing and carry my business like no one else exists. There's just got to be a way to be innovative against businesses like that. I'm still doing my thing though!
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

man that idea about registering with your city is great, if you have no sticker your stuff gets towed and you must at least get a DBA a tax id number. i dont like to give my money away for nothing but i would have NO PROBLEM AT ALL paying $500-$1500 per year for that, just think about not have to go up against low ballers i could make that money back on one or two jobs. think about all that money that would be generated for the state
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with giving up liberty for security is that you end up with neither!:usflag: :usflag:
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

How are you going to be able to tell who is legit? What about businesses that pay taxes, pay workers comp, and have all the insurance but hire illegal workers. But they have all they other stuff to make them look legal. Are they legal? No, but they will tell you they are. I agree with the earlier post I just worry about my finished product and try to educate the customers as well.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How much is the sticker? More govt bull is all your asking for. People call us dumb, and we are the only industry asking for more government regulation. Maybe they are right.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If your really a "professional" then it wont do a bit of good. The customers the beer money guy has will go to the 13 y/o boy. Just find a way to grow your business and dont lay the blame on some redneck with a murry mower and an 83 ford pickup.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The presence or absence of a license and insurance has no bearing on how an LCO prices their services really. Having a license and insurance does not magically transform Joe Schmoe into some shrewd businessman.

It's an easy industry to get into, that's why there's so many people doing it. That's likely how it'll always be. You just have to accept that fact. I see no need or reason to have more regulations and govt. BS...I mean, I don't need to buy a window sticker to prove that I already paid for a business license...I can just tape the license to the window :laugh: