1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

idea to help promoting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DownSouth, Jun 25, 2005.

1. DownSouth

DownSouth LawnSite Member

me and my freind were thinking of a referal system idea. our idea was that we would ask all of out customers to refer all of their frineds to use our services and if someone new signs up with us and says _____ reffereed me to you then the person that reffered them would get one week of cutting free. we thought this would help make people actually go out and tell their friends about us instead of just thinking about it every once in a while. has anyone else tried this or thought of doing it?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've been doing it for 11 straight years. It's how we get all our new business (we have never advertised) it works so well. I even have a letter that goes out each March to all of our customers.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's a good idea...consider that when you pass out flyers or put an ad in the paper/yellow pages, you pay up front for that advertising, and you may not get any business out of it. With a referral system, you only pay when you get new business.

I would just establish some sort of minimum, like the new customer must stay on for at least 4, 6, 8 cuts, or whatever.
  4. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Good idea. Haven't been ripped off from that yet, but there's a first time for everything.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Way I do it is the free grass-cut comes in towards end of season, just make sure to give it to them between september-october and don't wait too long or they might not get it.
  6. ToroLover

ToroLover LawnSite Member

This is a great idea and one that my husband and I have doing for years now. I send out the letter to his customers, and we get lots of referrals this way.