Idea to save wrists on w/b's and sulkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 10, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If you have a castering sulky or one with a long tongue (pivots near the foot platform) then this would work to help lift the front end of the mower up without damaging your wrists. Have a peice of angle/bar/tube steel bolted to the back frame of the mower right over top of the sulky tongue and have it cut off where the sulky pivots so it doesn't interfere with sulky operation. Now you just take one foot and push down on that lever to help lift the mower :) I'm gonna try that, save on your wrists :angel: Let you know how it works later but I won't get to it till next week.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Can't do that...................... if you go up a steep incline the mower will pivot and the bar will jam against the velky. Also, why do you need to raise the front of the mower????

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Ok then we'll put it on a hinge with a stop so it can swing up but not down.... then the sulky will raise it up when needed. Gotta raise mower to trailer, go over very rough spots, jump curbs, etc...

4. If for some reason you don't have it up, you could mess your leg up.

Bad idea!!!!!!

BTW only time deck gets raised is you go up a curb, but I try to go back-wards up them if I can first.

Also you don't have much wb time in yet, your hydro, you can pop the levers and apply minimal down pressure and the front will "just fly up" with no problem, so I don't get where you are having wrist problems or you just are not plain used to the mower yet, and you are over man(kid)handeling it. Trust the mower Eric:D

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

What do you mean "have it up"?
    My hydros are alittle sluggish?? yes it will pop wheelies but you have to use your fingers to move the levers down, not a problem though, but you still can't do wheelies downhill, sometimes not sideways on hills, and often not as easy with the sulky. I am not having wrist problems but one guy on here emailed me and told me he was finding he was having problems because he was lifting the mower alot. I don't see why this would be a bad idea :confused:

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

My wrists are fine how about you all?

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hey I was just warned by a longtime w/b and sulky user that he wore his wrists out constantly lifting it (which happens a good bit). I don't want that to happen to me. I'm gonna try this lever and see. Can't hurt anything!

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Eric

Listen to what Mike and Pete are saying. What they both say is true. Trust the mower and just get used to it.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You're just missing the point. As LGF said, you "Back over curbs". Going over them frontward can be dangerous, besides unnecessary and unproductive. Just because everyone else does, doesn’t make it right. Also, if you have to lift the front over stuff while mowing (as a steady diet), you’re either mowing the wrong lawns, or should stop and fix/correct the problem. Again, either way it’s unnecessary, unproductive, plus a professional would solve the problem correctly.
    Pete