Idea to solve a common problem....

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by RV_Landscaping, May 9, 2002.

1. RV_Landscaping

RV_Landscaping LawnSite Member

In my short time as a 'member' here I've noticed that every few days or so....Some new members register and ask all sorts of what most of you consider 'basic' questions (well, even I consider many of them basic:))....Rather than posting and tell them to 'search' everytime--and then ending up answering 1/2 their questions.... Why don't we just creat a FAQ (frequently asked questions) page???? I'd be happy to do it....Could proly do it in an evening or two...I know some HTML, and I could through a web-page or something together....

Just cover all the stuff people ask about...striping...ideas/guidlines for pricing.... things not to do....things to do...basic equipment needed to start out etc. etc. We could even create some search links so they can clikc the link and search for a particular thing automatically... Would probably save everyone some time, and cut down on the redundant 'newbie' posts.... We can just post a link at the top of the page...Or maybe the Moderators can add it to some welcome page or something(?) Just an idea.... :)

-Rob

2. Esby33

Esby33 LawnSite Member

And how about a seperate forum for DOUBLE BLADES
    There are new posts just about every day asking about them. It just gets annoying and cluttered. It could be cleaned up if the topic of doubles were put in a seperate forum!!!! It could be dedicated to EricElm...you know he would love that:angel:

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Rob,

Did you do a search to make sure this hasn't been covered before? ;)

I think it's a great idea, though. There's a lot of information here on some widely covered topics that could be rewritten and transferred to a Green Industry FAQ page. Whaddya say, Admins?

However, I still think it's a good idea to have questions continually posted. Sometimes it brings out fresh perspective... :)

4. RV_Landscaping

haha...no I forgot too;)

Yeah, I agree about the new info.... And I personally don't mind the posts...But it seems to me some of the long time members get kinda annoyed with 'em....and they can always ask more questions/post comments in addition to some sort of FAQ.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Sounds like a great idea Rob! However, I have made many webpages and I think it's gonna take more time than a couple evenings. There is a ton of info on here to sort through for this sort of thing. Good luck and if you need any help, I'll be glad to pitch in. Maybe a few of us can make a page template and each of us cover a particular topic like you do doubles and I do striping and Joe Blow can do pricing? Just an idea......
    It sounds like a good idea, make it a welcome/starting place page sounds good too but I know that sometimes all that info can be overwhelming to newcomers and even myself even though I now know what to sort through to find what I want. It is alot easier to post a quick question than it is to search and sort through 300 threads! Good luck and let me know if I can help any. My email is at the bottom and so is my IM handles but I'm not on them much.
    Good luck!
    Eric

6. RV_Landscaping

Yeah...good idea....we could split it up, if people are interested.... I don't mean *all* the info...Just get the basics...Like fro striping: explain what it is, the different types of kits (chain, roller etc.), a few different ways of doing it, different mowing heights that work, maybe even some suggestions on best settings with different mowers....And then have the search link underneath so people can search for more info.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I think that there should be a few sub forums under Commercial Lawn Care forum. For example, each sub forum for: Lawn Care Equipment, Lawn Care Equipment Parts and Maintenance, Lawn Mowing Technique, Pricing for Services, All Others Related to Commercial Lawn Care. It would be more organizing and easier for new members to search through without flooding us with tons of questions that are answered many time before.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

wxmn6-
    that will be too confusing and difficult to keep on top of. Sounds like a good idea but that makes a half dozen more forums to surf on... too much trouble... I would definately like to help with a striping page. I dont' have much experience with doubles, but I'm really into striping and making striping kits. I have experimented with alot of different stuff to come up with the best combos (double blades not included, i'm too cheap for that and that's twice the blades to sharpen and it works ok as is for me) I can come up with a bunch of stuff for that if that's ok?? I need a "template" page to have the background and colors and links all set up though. Then I can add to it and return the modified HTML code to you guys or whoever is doing this stuff. I can go ahead and start gathering stuff and then just copy and paste it into the template once you get it for me.
    Sounds good to me!
    Eric

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

BushHogBoy - I know what you mean by that. I thought about that before too. I would not like to go through half dozen forums too but it seems like it is one of the option to help get things organized. Good luck with your project.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

another idea might be to simply ignore a thread that has been beat to death.

same thing if you know all that there is to know about the subject at hand, just pass it by.

GEO