Idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 11, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is the time of the year that most of us get a good deal of calls for estimates. No matter how well we screen our calls trying to make sure that we won`t be wasting a trip, someone always sneaks in and fools us and ends up being a time waster.

A few days ago, we met a huge time waster. When we pulled up to their falling down shack with chicken wire everywhere, how I wished we had brought our camera so others here could have saw it.

I just think it would be a neat idea if some of the lawnsite members here would start carrying a camera in their truck for when they run into that special property that leaves you speechless.

To top it all off that day, no one was even home when we knocked on the door that we thought might fall off the hinges.

She later calls back, and says she was home but might not have heard us because she had taken her meds. Matt told her, Listen, we will not be able to take care of your property. We will not carry our equipment up flights of steps. No one would believe what a mess that property looked like.

So in closing, if anyone goes on any funny estimates, take a picture so we all can get a good laugh.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

thats funny, when i get to a property like that i get out look at it maybe walk around then just leave, if they call me i say i looked at it but and make anything just to get off the phone.the camera is agreat idea, we can make fun of how sad people are in our society just messin

3. performanceturf

performanceturf LawnSite Member

I once took a call for an estimate, the man was refered by one of my very good customers/long time friend. I got to this property, and it was pitiful. No grass, huge weeds, trash, debris, two abondoned lawn mowers; the works. So I am standing there scratching my head trying to figure out how to tell this guy were to stick his lawn without it getting back to my customer, when a man in the next yard asked if I was Rick. I had written down the address wrong and was next door. THANK GOD!!! He turned out to be an excellent year around customer! And we got the landlord next door to clean things up.