Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 5, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I had an idea. You know those trimmer spring loaded clamps for mounting to mowers, utility vehicles, etc., well what if you mounted one on your mower in such a way that you could have the trimmer running and use the throttle lock to set RPM's and set it so the trimmer is mounted to the left of the mower deck like those deck mounted string trimmers with electric motors but save money and have the versatility to unclip it and use the trimmer normally. You might use like a hose clamp or two, or electric tape around the trimmer shaft to mark where it goes so you get it lined up right everytime. Seems like it might work ok if you had alot of fence or building to trim? Could also turn the trimmer vertical to edge with it. Whatcha'll think?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh yea even if you only go 3 mph with it, it's still faster than walking plus you are saving alot of steps. Remember the closer the trimmer head is to the rear wheels the easier it will be to handle because that is the pivot point and the farther forward it is the more swing it will have so it is going to be way too sensitive to steering lever movements.
    I would like to try this sometime it may be easier for some of the fences I have to do. Also if you had an Edgit attachment on the trimmer it would work even better because it could rub along the obstacles instead of wearing down the string!
  3. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

well sounds like a good idea the only flaw i see is how would you feed the line to the trimmer? i dont know how you could bump the head with out removing the whole unit from the mower. but good thinking
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if you drill a hole on the bump feed and put a wire or something like that. I know BHB will figure something out. ;)
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I don't know, hadn't thought that far LOL.
    I guess in the perfect world you would take enough time to not hit obstacles but get all the grass anyway. If the object is delicate I have to do that or getting close to flowers, but in the world of effeciency you don't take that much time and you will wear string. Well hmm... I don't know just yet.
    I'll let you know :p
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

BHB, why don't you try to make one. Look at all the other things that you've put together. This would probably an easy one for you.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Pardon the pun, but there are times that it's good to "trim your time", however, I don't think this is one of them;) Everyone keeps forgeting how we all yell about mowing so fast, me included, to save time. Now, you want to choke yourself by having to slow down for trimming, while your trying to keep up the fast mowing pace. Furthermore, I believe there's a time to trim and a time to mow, and mixing them will slow you down. When I work with my friend, he mows and I trim. He doesn't slow down or have to get close to things, he just blasts away on the big stuff. Also, I always try to get a bit ahead of him so he doesn'st have to guess at how close he needs to come to a tree or whatever......Works for me...... Hope it helps.....
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My prediction is this thread will be closed because FlexDeck will think it is infringing on his turf. Just Kidding, I've thought about this sometimes while mowing large complexes with millions of miles of trimming. If you come up with something let us know. I would love to cash in on your ingenuity. LOL
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember you'll have to use a dang homeowner grade trimmer if you intend to mount it where it cuts on the left of the machine. The direction of head rotation on a commercial grade trimmer would leave a lot to be desired as far as cutting goes.

Also a curved shaft might work better for this application....
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you could just purchase that new ride on trimmer that jungle jims puts out.:D i want to see one of those in action. as far as mounting the trimmer, i think you will just lose productivity. you will take longer to trim. it may work well if you have to trim a condo complex or something along roadways, but forget going in and out around houses etc with it. you just cant do it fast as you could walking with it in your hand.