Idea

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rvsuper, Mar 26, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I had an idea today when I was looking at a new pump for my fairway and green sprayer today.

I am thinking about making and mounting a sprayer to the end of my mower at home. I would probably need to add more support to the back bar, but tell me what you guys think of the idea and suggestions on how to mount, design it, booms, etc.
    Thanks!

mar26#02.jpg

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

here is another pic

mar26#03.jpg

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

top view

mar26#04.jpg

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

rvsuperintendant

Many member here have made boom sprayer on their mowers. The cheapest way to do it might be the best. Use a 12v 25 gallon spot sprayer and make a small boom. Total cost is around $250.00. if you don't get into a lot of welding. Most spot sprayers come with a 1.4 to 1.8 GPM 12v pump which can be replaced with a 5 to 7 GPM 12v to increase finished spray per thousand.

From the picture you posted I would look for another place to mount the tank. To me it looks like you would need too much re-enforcement to mount the tank on the back. The higher you mount the tank the more chance of rolling your mower on hills.

Good Luck

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Here's another idea,
    What if I made some kind of reciever hitch that I could connect to the back of the mower when I needed the sprayer? All im thinking for the tank is maybe a 15-30 gallon tank with a Shur-Flo with the boom(s) going out a little more than the mower. I have no expirience on fabricating a sprayer system so any with this would be appreciated.
    P.S. Keep in mind I only use this mower for home.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

rv, that looks like a rear engine Ariens to me. When I was younger I used to hang two 50lb tractor weights on the back and do wheelies with ours,(when Dad wasn't looking)
    It should be no problem mounting a tank because you can also put an upright bracket infront of thew motor behind the seat. Buy the small sprayer from TSC and mount it on. I think you can get these with a boom too.
    http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/detail.asp?pcID=5&paID=4989&sonID=5004&page=2&productID=2619

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

rvsuperintendant

Reese type receivers have been used by many of the member here to attach an electric Fert spreader. Wished I had done it that way.:( What about setting tank on floor above the deck and running hose to a boom on the back?? Yes you would have to rest your feet on the tank but you are only doing your own lawn with it.

Cantoo

Yep hate to admit what I did went my dad wasn't looking. But what go around comes around. My son drove a brand new walker into a salt water canal. Every see 5 figures of hard earned money used as a fishing reef?

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

ric, I know ezxactly how you feel. Last Fall I bought two more lawn edgers because my old one was getting tired. The next afternoon my 13 year old goes driving by the house on an old mini bike he had laying around I thought for a second hmm wasn't that motor wrecked. . I went out to the shop later and sure enough there was the carcass of my old edger minus the motor laying all over the floor. When I was younger I did the exact same thing to a 2 week old rototiller that my Dad bought. My Dad laughed his azz off when I told him what my son did.