1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideal app rates & products for best results

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Jan 26, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

All considering - the yards for the question are all maintain on a regular bases. Be it 4 - 6 app treatments. What is the ideal chemical for crab grass & broadleaf control and what is the ideal fertilizer to use?

I realize x -x -x may vary upon location but money is also a factor in deciding which route to choose>

Ex: Use Q4 and 25-3-5 spring app. Is the Q4 to expensive to put out there and use basic trimic classic or trimic 992 or mix in Drive.

Any ideas - let us here them!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ideal or cheapest?
    For ideal I would use a 75% slow release something like a 25-0-11 with .15 percent Dimension (or higher) at the goosegrass rate, (to be sure). (or Prodiamine.)
    --- Trimec is low cost, but I would step up the weed control to Surge, and follow up with something containing triclopyr in the fall, like Lesco Eliminate. Each round would have a high level of slow release, sulfer coat or IBDU, Iron for alkaline soils and lime for acid soils included as needed. Drive as needed. Surge for nutsedge as needed. Arena for grub control (and other insects).
    Fertilizer with push spreader and weeds with hose sprayer for best attention to detail.
    ---Fungicide and insecticide as needed.
  3. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

to keep your cost down and keep with what is health for for turf, try 2-2.5 lbs of N for the year. you can distribute over the course of year at each application, and it should keep cost down on that end. Use your dimension for pre-emerg and then just spot spray to meet your customers threshold for weeds. Treat for insects if found and only treat the areas that they will thrive i.e. sunny areas. Dont bother with under trees and shade sides of the house, there not going to be there. If you apply a fert with merit apply it late may, to utilize the rain this will allow for you treatment to last through the different bettles and thier life stages. If you apply this product to late in the season (dry time) the product will never be effective. Rememer too if the PH of the soil is off, your pesticides become ineffective. Example
    Dylox breakdown according to PH levels 5 = 104 days 7 = 34 hours 9 = 31 minutes. Smell what I'm stepin in, it can get very technical, but understanding this you save a shitload of money.