Ideal Crew Size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RwADesigner, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

What has worked for you? How many guys do you have on what type and size of jobs? I've learned the hard way over the years, but it seems that on most of my commercial jobs, 3-4 guys on one crew works very well. On all of our residential, no more than 2. Its much easier on me of course, the more I have lol...but we are much more profitable with the lesser.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've run me and two others.
    I've run two on their own and me on my own.
    Now I run me on my own or me plus one and we're flyin'.

Funny how much more your people get done when you're there watching everything. :)

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 seems to work well for us, props average 3 - 5 acres each.

4. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

So far this year (my first fulltime) Ive done
    solo
    me and 1 hs kid
    one afternoon with me and 2 hs kids
    me and my dad

I prefer either solo or with my dad
    Next year Im not going to fool with the kids Ill find somebody semi retired that just wants out of the house and away from the wife

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have worked; just me, me and one other, me and 2 others. You can really fly with 3 guys. Plus when you do landscape jobs it is very nice to have 3.

6. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

I like to work with four. Two mowing, one trimming and blowing, and me sitting in a lawn chair watching from the top of my trailer.... Its great

7. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

It depends on how closely your lawns are grouped together. It doesnt pay to have four guys driving 5-10 min. between jobs. Four man crews work for us because you could throw a rock and hit the next we maintain for three of our five cutting days.

8. BlackCloudDiesel

BlackCloudDiesel LawnSite Member

I usually send two to three for every job site. Two usually mow and one trims, lawn-boys the ditches, and whichever one is finished cutting first is the one that starts blowing.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

For those of you who don't know, I am currently a solo operator. However, I have had my share of part-timers work for me and I must say that for most jobs 1 acre and under--a 2-man crew is best. Unless you have several acres to cut, or something with alot of edging trimming(office park), you do not need more than 2 people. Here's why: When a crew arrives on a job, it is ideal for both members to finish their tasks as close to the same time as possible. Mowing, trimming, edging, blowing and the like vary per property. At a typical residential site, I would mow while my employee would trim/edge. We normally would get done within 2-3 minutes of each other. One of us would then blow while the other put on a backpack sprayer and hit weeds. With 2 people, each member knows what he is to do and what the other is doing. This is a very efficient setup. With 3 or 4, it works with large props(2 mow, 2 trim/edge), but with small props, all those people just get in the way or have to wait for some other guy to finish before he can start his assigned task.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

For us, our most efficient setup is three guys. We service between 0.75-1.5 acre mowable yards. We have two mowers going at once and a guy on a line trimmer. One guy stays on the trimer basically the whole time, another starts up a 48WB and gets all trimwork done, while the 3rd sits on the 60Z and just moves. Once we get to a certain point the guy on the 48 gets off and either starts line trimming or blowing depending on where we are at. The guy on the 60 (provided we are close enough) will drive down the block, next door, etc to get to the next account. The other two will pack and move the truck/trailer.

We can get an acre done in about 20 minutes with this system. Right now we are only running a crew of two (myself and partner) and it adds about 10 minutes to each account. Basically for every six lawns the 3rd guy will save a hours worth of time.