Ideal Enclosed Trailer Size?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Nov 3, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Just as the title states, what is the ideal size for a enclosed maintenance trailer? I need it to haul 2 ZTR's and a walk.

My big thing is that I still want to be able to turn around in an average size court without having to back up. I have no problem doing this with my current setup.

Also, maybe a silly question, but I see guys around here unloading mulch etc. out of their enclosed trailers. How do they get it in there? Everywhere around here loads you up with skid steers so how do they get the mulch in there?

If you know anything I should look out for/tips then let me know.

Thanks...

2. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 8x20 pace summit trailer on a daily basis and would consider this a great size for my set operation. I'm not sure if you are in the city or country , but it can be a little tight in downtown areas, not to mention parking is sometimes a issue. I don't typically have any issues, but when i do they can get a little scary to get out of. I don't mean to disrespect you at all considering your truck has a larger engine than mine, but your truck will really take a beating towing this large of a trailer as mine has ie new front end parts, brakes,tires, and best of all i get 8 miles per gallon!!! .

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for your opinion. Did you buy that trailer new? If so, do you mind telling me how much it cost?

As far as the truck, I think any truck is going to take a beating hauling something that big, especially if you are not careful. This truck doesn't have anywhere near the payload of the 3/4 tons, but it can tow with the best of them from my limited experience towing big stuff with other trucks. I can't wait to see the MPG.:cry:

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

What guys unload mulch out of the enclosed trialer :p thats a funny idea. I have to see this in person! Anyway, you want two ztrs and a walk behind in it.. id say go for at LEAST a 20 or 24' if you want a little room. Im sure othres will say an 18' would fit but, eh, it would be very very tight. I like having some space around the stuff so it doenst bang into each other.

My 24' is heavy, i mean even with the diesel, next year im going to be doing my residential stuff with a new aluminum open 18' trailer, since this thing is just too heavy to tug all over, imo. Ill still be using it, but adding the lighter trailer too.

not to knock your truck, but after knowing how heavy these trailers get loaded up, i probably wouldnt pull it without a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and a diesel. I once pulled this trailer with my 91 f150 lol, that was a workout. :p

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I'm serious about the mulch, they must have used wheelbarrows to load and unload it:laugh: How much do these enclosed trailers in the 20' range weigh? I would think they are around 5,000 pounds at most.

I don't want to bicker about the truck, just pretend you don't know what I have.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

An 8X20 should weigh in about 3200lbs, empty curb weight. I looked at this option so that I can carry the same setup you plan to. 2 Ztrs and a Walk Behind. However, when I looked at the prices, there was only a $500 difference to go up to a 24footer. So, I am going today to pick up my 8.5x24' car hauler to start using for my setup. According to the specs, the 24' only weighs about 360 lbs more than the 20' trailer. I can not wait to get it today.

You asked about price, from what I have seen lately, prices for trailer up in your area are a little high compared to mine, but I am getting this 24' car hauler for $4,795 plus sales tax. I am saving about 2K over some other dealers in my area. It is a great traielr too with a 10,000 GVWR due to the 5200lb axles.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Good to hear Total Lawn Care. I will start checking on prices on Mon, but I may wait until spring.

I just don't know how easy it will be to maneuver with a trailer that size. I am in residential neighborhoods all the time so I need to be able to turn around in a normal sized court.

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

you might as well forget about it, your going to get heavy very fast. have a 7x16 with 2 walks in it and its heavy on my half ton. Your going to be pushing 6000 pounds with just trailer and mowers.

9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

With my current setup, it's pushing 5,000 pounds and I can't even tell it's there. I swear, it tows it like nothing.

10. Pro-Turf  LLC

Pro-Turf LLC LawnSite Member

i had a 2003 chevy 1/2 ton towing my old trailer that was a 7x18 foot enclosed haulmark and that was pretty heavy for that truck the tranny started to poop out so i went and got a 3/4 ton duramax and that pulled it like it wasnt even there but i upgraded to a 30 foot enclosed mid summer and i can tell that is back there!