ideal grass type?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Sep 27, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok i have a customer who has a very thin lawn. this lawn is in constant shade and takes a beating. her kids like to play in the front lawn and this thin grass can't take the foot traffic. i can't think of anything that would work in constant shade and hold up against a lot of abuse. any suggestions?

2. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Green Concrete, Even that will not stand alot of abuse.

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Im very close to you, and I think your only choice is the Tall Fescue, are maybe a mix of different Fescues.
    Id just seed it with the tall Fescue, and then if it starts looking bad, you cah seed it again.
    If they have the cash, see about laying sod.

4. LawnPro in NC

Fescue is not best for constant shade or traffic.

Open up the area to the sky let the sun shine in. How does the area look in the winter ??? No Leaves to shade.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

6. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Fine fescues, with a good top soil lots of care (fertilize, aerate, overseed often) tall fescues likes sun

7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

this area couldn't be opened up. the house is in a really old part of town and the trees are city property so homeowners are not allowed to touch them. the are all 65 year old sycamores so they are extremely large, and there are at least two of them in every yard.

8. LawnPro in NC

Test the soil.