1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideal Lawn and Shrub Truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KACYDS, May 30, 2008.

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to know, if you had to do it over, what would be the best truck/sprayer rig for sprayer/fertilizing lawn and gardens.

I have a F-250 with a 250 Gallon tank, 9hp Honda, Hypro D-50, Lesco Spreader, and backpack sprayers. I'm a one man show and deal with small lawns and big gardens in the New Orleans area. If you familiar with N.O., there is not any big lawns, mostly gardens. It does everything I need it to do.

What do other LCO use in other parts of the country?:usflag::usflag::usflag:
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

For garden work IMHO a 12 ft enclosed trailer with a rolling shop inside would be ideal. I would do as much granular treatment as possible and very little spraying.

Thats me, I do as much granular as I possible can. The less I need to pull the hose the better. LOL :cool2:
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

300 gallon Tuflex split tank with 2 hose reels. One Hypro D-30 pump for turf. One D-50 pump for trees/shrubs, etc. (Two Honda engines).

Not sure about "gardens"???
    Hope you use a battery-powered backpack sprayer instead of a hand pump sprayer. Spyker spreader too.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Well for small yards, maybe a cab-over Izusu would be a good bet. Can haul more weight, and turns around in smaller radius. Could be enclosed to keep the fert dry. However---you might want something lower so that loading the spreader was easy. something like the Tru Green truck or a van with a side door and ramp so the spreader could roll in. Best if you could load a pallet in the back. Nicer yet if you could slide the sprayer out when you needed to remove it. However--see last month's discussion of the fumes, exhaust and objectionable odors when the tank is not separated from the driver, (like Scotts Lawn Care).
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I use a enclosed Cab Over, but it is only a work truck. With a trailer you can unhook and use the truck for others things including personal use. IMHO equipment shouldn't be designed so specialized that replacing it or a little down time holds up the entire operation. I actually keep insurance and plates on a back up vehicle.
  7. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

anything that dosen't run on fuel. :)

I wish it was that easy. lol :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  9. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We have gone to 15' GMC box trucks for production, built in aluminum ramps on back, with 300 gallon tank and storage box for assorted products that may be needed. PG units fit inside and anchor to floor, walls carry blowers, hand cans, etc. outside of trucks are billboard logo'd. Trucks also have much more room in cab for crew to carry paperwork, lunch, and literature.
  10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that I've had a chance to operate out of my extended 1-ton Ford van, I'm really partial to it. I'm much happier with it, than I ever was operating out of my F-250. There's no issue with fumes, because I built a top-notch bulkhead that divides the cab from the cargo area. I haven't had the time to fully set it up for my operation yet, but it's still much better to operate out of.

Once I get it equipped, I'll get some pictures posted.