Ideal mower combination?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Sep 28, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Tell me what y'all think is the ideal set up. I've got a 60" ZTR & need to get some smaller mowers. I do know that I need a 36" for the gated properties. What would you choose..a 48 or 52". They will be eXmarks. I know the difference in the amount of grass/acrage it'll cut but is there and reason for the 48 over the 52 vise versa?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well if it was me and the 48 used the same blades as the 60, then that might be something to consider, it would be less part numbers to keep up withand you never know the 48 might fit some where the 52 wouldnt, and you have the 60 to cover most of the mowing, just my thought
  3. Flat Top Lawn

Flat Top Lawn LawnSite Member

We use a 48 tiger cub and a 61 turf tiger. The 61 for wide open and the 48 for small areas. If it needs pushed we don't mow it.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

48 and 60 do not use the same blades, but a 32 and 48 do, also a 36 and 52 do. And most older Lawn Boy 21" can use the same blade from your 60" machines.
    I've seen many gates on lawns I have or do mow where only a 32 or 21 will fit, a 36 will not go. From there often larger gates will hold a 48 but not 52. If I could have anything, I'd want:

21, 32, 48 w/b, 60 rider, maybe 72 rider
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

21, 36 and 52
  6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

21, 48, and 54

I had 36" but really didn't need them.. I have a few properties that need the 21" but not many.. I've noticed that newer fencing gate widths are wider than older fence... My grandparents have a 34" fence gate and thats the smallest I've ever seen (house was built in the 70's).. I can fit my 48"s into almost all of my gated properties..
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

60" and a 32". I've got the 60 but am stuck with a 21 for now.

BTW, quality mentioned a 34" gate. Would a 32 wb fit through that? I've got my eye on an Exmark (can't remember the exact name but I know it is a 32 and it is hydro). Would it fit??
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use the Lazer Z 60" and the Turf Tracer 48" as my set up. I also have a 21" for a couple gated areas. I like my set up. I can bag with the Z (UltraVac) and the 21" and mulch with all three.

If I had alot of gated properties, I would add a 32" hydro WB.
  9. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

How much more for the hydro unit and why hydro on a 32"
    I am in a similar situation. 52 and 21 but will be in need of a 32 or 36.
  10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

A 32" would be very close on that gate size.. Usually add about 2-3" to the deck size for actual width... My advice would be go measure a 32" and see how wide it really is and then go measure the gate(s).. Thats the only good way to find out if it will fit.