1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for drumming up new business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by barryd, Feb 23, 2003.

1. barryd

barryd LawnSite Member
    from KY

Anyone have any ideas other than business cards, flyers, doorhangers and classified newspaper advertising?
    This is my first attempt out on my own and I'm looking for effective ideas on landing more accounts. I already have roughly 15 accounts (if everything pans out) and one good paying cemetary.
    I'd like to leave my full-time job and mow full-time. I have another side business that brings in a good profit in the winter months.

1999 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    Custom built 6x10 Trailer on order
    2002 Exmark Laxer Z
    Echo GT2000
    Echo SRM 2301
    Echo PB210E
    Stihl BG 85
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the neighborhoods that you would like to get work in and walk from door to door on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Tell them what you do...you could give them a free estimate right then and there. Who knows...maybe it could work out??? Just an idea...:alien:
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the descriptiveness. It has already been studied inside and out through case studies and market research that describing the business in the title is not only a big plus, but a necessity. Also, be careful what you use. If you're going to use "lawn care", you should really know exactly what this industry term entails. Are you mowing, and doing everything else? If you are, then you are far better off to use Grounds Maintenance or Landscape Management (the latter geared more for all around care including an emphasis on beds, ornamentals, trees, etc.). The term "Lawn Care" really applies to the fert. and chemical end of the business. Make sure this is distinguished between the two, because later on down the road, this difference will be more of a common knowledge not only between the professional, but between common consumers, as well.
    As far as the door to door advice goes, it works, to a degree, - and it works better than fliers withOUT presentation. However, I would NOT suggest doing a neighborhood on a Sunday. If I am Mr. Smith, that's the last thing I want to do on my day of rest to spend with my family is be approached by a soliciter at my front door. You will lose the business before you ever even gain it. One suggestion; your best sales are word of mouth. If and when you are good, you know it because you are getting calls like "You do our neighbors." or "You do some friends of ours." and such. Now, you are perhaps already THERE with quality, and that's great! However, an incentive to BOOST these referrals doesn't hurt. Offer your existing customers a free service for every new referral they offer you. (such as one free mowing) This helps, and works. Good luck to you, and I hope this helps!
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Barry, other then what you've already listed, I'd say uniform shirts with your phone number big on the back.
    Signage on your truck and/or trailer.
    Yellow pages.

Btw, mind if I ask what the side winter business is, plowing??
    Just curious.

Good luck.
  5. barryd

barryd LawnSite Member
    from KY

I'm a para-professional football coach and freelance sportswriter. I have a website devoted to our high school football program - www.mayfieldfootball.com - which is a KY powerhouse. I'm also planning on a regional prep football website.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Keep it coming!