Ideas for ground cover??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, May 12, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey
    I have a customer that has one side of ther hous is on a slope and at the end of the slope there is a chainlink fence to a park. The strip of ground is about 6 feet wide and about 40 feet long. The slope is a bout a 45 degree angle and they have some bushs and weeds in that area. They asked for some tpe of ground cover that would be low maint. and keep the weeds out.

I am think about some type of rock so they do not have to replace mulch every year. Is ther bad parts about rock or what would you suggest??

Thanks
    Bj

2. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Round here I like Pachysandra. I dont know what grows in your area. Make sure you kill all the weeds in the area and uses preen or similar pre emergents to control future weeds untill its full and established. Dont chince on distance between new plants...the more the merrier.

Make damn sure you kill any grasses in that area.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

For sunny areas: Kinnikinnick, Cotoneaster, Rubus, Hypericum, Hedra Helix/English Ivy.

For shady areas: Vinca (needs to be well watered in sunny areas), Pachysandra, Hedra Helix/E. Ivy.

If the ground cover is well watered and fed during its first few seasons, you will never have to mulch it again after initial application.

Hope that helps.

James

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

With a 45 deg. slope I would also recommend placing some jute/burlap for erosion control.

5. Green-Cuts

Hey

They actually don't want to have anything there besides the bushes. They want something that will cover the area so no weeds or grass can grow there.
    Something like rock, mulch, or bark. I was thinking rock because it does not have to be done every year like mulch and bark. They ar not looking for somthing that looks great just functional and easy main.

Thanks
    BJ

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

You say groundcover and slope, I THINK GREEN! :waving:

I would go with mulch. It will stay w/slope better than a decorative rock/stone. Plus, every other year you gotta' steady job mulching! A good pre-ermergent will help keep weeds down.

James

7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

round up area,, install erosion control weed barrier,, and lay on the rock or muclh,,, pros and cons? rock you get paid once,,, mulch you get paid over and over. HHHhmmmmmm um MULCH!!!!payup

8. LorentzLawnSnow

LorentzLawnSnow LawnSite Member

anyone know of a place between cleveland and columbus ohio that i could get some ivy for some similar hills?

9. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Grass.
    Easy to maintain. Just cut.

10. Green-Cuts

HI
    I know that mulch would be a return every year but I think they were looking for something that would be a one time easy maint. deal. Should I push the mulch to get the mulch job every year? I have never done mulch before, what do most people charge for it??

Thanks
    BJ